Nix Friday - streaming about Nix every Friday

Thanks for all the recommendations <3

Here it today’s recording with Rickard where we talk about nixbuild.net.

Next Friday, I want to go back to the roots and do an interactive session about Flakes. Go over what it is, how to get started and convert an existing repo to it.

8 Likes

If you have questions regarding podcasts, @makefu is doing a podcasts for many years now and knows all the tooling to do podcasts on Linux/NixOS

Here is the latest recording:

4 Likes

There isn’t anything specific planned for tomorrow so I will be working on my own projects, reviewing PRs, and answering questions.

Feel free to join!

6 Likes

The last recording didn’t make it on YouTube as I was using unlicensed music on the stream.

Tomorrow we will be testing out the NixCon streaming infrastructure. Join in to help! I will be sending out the details on Twitch and redirecting the public from there.

2 Likes

This Nix Friday I will be in the stream as well and we will talk about the C/C++ infrastructure in nixpkgs. We won’t talk too much about the language itself, but how the compilers/linkers are integrated into stdenv and how the build system abstraction works. If you happen to package C/C++ applications or libraries, this should give you a good overview. If you have any question you want to answered, please post them here: Nix Friday: C/C++ questions for next stream

6 Likes

Here is the recording for our latest session. If you ever wondered about the nitty-gritty details on how C/C++ programs get built, @Mic92 has done a thorough and intense job of building the knowledge up. The first part is directly C, and then later on integrated to Nix.

3 Likes

Is there any chance you have a recording with each microphone on a separate audio track? Or at least one where the two input channels are mixed at similar volume levels?

It’s hard to tell for sure, but it seems like the even the pre-amp noise (or ADC noise?) from one side is mixed to be at a higher volume than the voice from the other. (I’m assuming that’s not intentional.)

I have purchased a new microphone, hopefully, this will improve the audio quality. Both audio tracks are on different channels in OBS, unfortunately, they get merged in the stream so it’s difficult to apply post-processing to it.

It looks like OBS can record up to 4 audio tracks, one of which it will stream live. If you can tolerate the additional CPU load (and disk space) it might be worth trying.

I’m not sure how much a new mic would help. If it reduces the static that might help a bit, but I think the main problem is Mic92’s voice got mixed at a very low volume. Was it coming through all right for you during the call? If so, perhaps it’s just a matter of adjusting the OBS Audio Mixer so the two channels end up at a similar level.

Indeed. I keep forgetting to tune the audio before starting the stream. If you keep watching, a listener eventually tells us to fix the audio and I adjusted the levels.

I need an assistant :smiley:

5 Likes

Nix Friday!

We all heard that Nix is reproducible. But is it actually true? What does it mean really?

I will give a small presentation, followed by some hacking.

Join us tomorrow at 16:00 UTC to find out.

4 Likes

Great work, thank you for making this happen.

Any chance we can get the recordings on peertube instead of / in addition to youtube?

I am pretty sure that zimbatm, would not mind, if someone uploads it their.

I would be more than happy to get some help and have them duplicated on PeerTube. The issue is just the amount of extra work that it would take on my side.

Here is the latest recording, talking about deploying NixOS with Terraform:

3 Likes

And the recording on NixOS Reproducibility that I forgot to upload last week:

3 Likes

Nix Friday!

This week, @Mic92 is coming back on the stream to talk about his latest project: nix-ld - Run unpatched dynamic binaries on NixOS.

As usual, join us on Friday at 16:00 UTC Twitch

4 Likes

I saw you star the project. Can’t wait to hear more about it.

Here is the recording of last’s episode:

3 Likes