`nix-shell -p awscli` gives pip error

When I run nix-shell -p awscli, I get these errors:

ERROR: Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement botocore==1.18.9 (from awscli==1.18.150) (from versions: none)
ERROR: No matching distribution found for botocore==1.18.9 (from awscli==1.18.150)

This is in a script of mine, so I know that it used to work. I’m a bit of a newbie, so I’m not sure if this is some kind of user error or if it’s a bug (and in the latter case, how where should I file this bug, is there a good workaround, etc?)

UPDATE: nix-channel --update resolved the issue.

I can’t seem to reproduce it on my machines, but I’m not sure how your system is set up.

If you could post the output of the below command it would make it easier to look into. Alternatively you could try awscli2 instead and see if that works :slight_smile:

nix-shell -p nix-info --run "nix-info -m"

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Here’s the output you requested:

these paths will be fetched (0.01 MiB download, 0.03 MiB unpacked):
  /nix/store/fi7qsljzspz6zzhx6l9r2d37ip186lvi-nix-info
  /nix/store/hr96phz5rfzq5xm4ap0l3k58734r12qf-DarwinTools-1
copying path '/nix/store/hr96phz5rfzq5xm4ap0l3k58734r12qf-DarwinTools-1' from 'https://cache.nixos.org'...
copying path '/nix/store/fi7qsljzspz6zzhx6l9r2d37ip186lvi-nix-info' from 'https://cache.nixos.org'...
 - system: `"x86_64-darwin"`
 - host os: `Darwin 20.1.0, macOS 10.16`
 - multi-user?: `no`
 - sandbox: `no`
 - version: `nix-env (Nix) 2.3.9`
 - channels(craigweber): `"nixpkgs-21.03pre253014.6625284c397"`
 - nixpkgs: `/Users/weberc2/.nix-defexpr/channels/nixpkgs`

I actually figured out a way to work around the awscli dependency altogether, so this issue isn’t plaguing me, but if we can figure it out easily it might be good for posterity.

When I try against 6625284c397 I can reproduce the error, but on the current nixpkgs-unstable channel it is fixed. Whatever the issue is, someone has already patched it, so a channel update should fix it.

Thanks, the nix-channel --update resolved the issue!