Nix Community Survey 2024

Dear Nix Community,

It is with excitement that we launch 2024’s Nix Survey!

https://survey.nixos.org/2024

We are conducting this survey to improve our understanding of the community and what everyone cares about. We plan to use your responses to support Nix Teams to better serve the community.

As always, the survey is anonymous. Aggregated statistics and major findings will be published on Discourse.

Check out the announcements and results from past years:

We used last year’s feedback to improve yet again.

• The survey is lighter to complete.
  • Question prompts are more inclusive.

Feedback is very welcome!

Many thanks to @ron @thufschmitt @danielsidhion @tomberek @fricklerhandwerk @hexa @JulienMalka for the great help.
If you’d like to help, join us on Matrix at #survey:nixos.org!

58 Likes

Want to give another shoutout to @Arsleust and the team here for getting this together! <3

11 Likes

Links to the 2022 and the 2023 surveys lead to their poll threads and I don’t see any results in them. Can you just link previous survey poll results directly?

2 Likes

They’re linked at the bottom of the respective threads:

5 Likes

Thank you so much for this! After my first attempt to fill this out, I got a “The server was unable to process your request” page, but the second time worked.

1 Like

Side Note: Northeast Asia typically includes China, Japan, the Korean Peninsula, and Mongolia, while Southeast Asia includes countries like Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia, and the Philippines.

10 Likes

Thank you, I was very confused as I’ve only heard the term East Asia used to refer to where I am.

1 Like

I filled it out on the phone over the course of a few hours and then for some reason it crashed when I tried to submit it.
Should it remember where I stopped or do I have to do it in one go?

1 Like

IIRC it should load partially completed surveys.

I’ll ask the infra team about the stability of limesurvey.

No central Europe :no_mouth:

2 Likes

I assume these are UN geoscheme regions.

1 Like

terrible geoschemes then

3 Likes

At the very end you wrote “Stay Tune” instead of “stay tuned”. Otherwise very cool.

I’m sure the results will be interesting.

1 Like

On the “How did you find out about it?” question,
there should be an “other” option, and possibly, a “I don’t remember” option (my case).

4 Likes

Is it on purpose that these weren’t posted on HN/Lobsters? I’ve just done so, thinking that it’s better to get a wide and varied audience to respond, rather than just the people who hang out here.

3 Likes

Nope, not on purpose :slightly_smiling_face:

Please do spread the word about it anywhere you can!

2 Likes

Excited to see the experience level vs years of using Nix heatmap and other interesting data that comes from this survey. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

On month left for the NixOS survey and yet we have almost as many respondents as last year!

Please don’t hesitate to share the link to the survey on social medias, forums, chatrooms, or even to your cat! :smiley:

7 Likes

I hereby demand statistics on the amount of cats in the Nix community in the Nix survey results!

5 Likes