NixOS webzine announcement

https://webzine.snowflake.ovh/

12 Likes

the domain moved to webzine.nixos.cafe , paid by @manheraz <3

2 Likes

Should we think of this as a spiritual successor to NixOS Weekly? Would it be useful to connect those somehow, or is it better for the spirit and vibe of this thing to be less official/singular?

I didn’t know about NixOS weekly. What’s sure is the webzine is a different project and not trying to continue the NixOS weekly. :+1:t3:

Ok. As someone who enjoyed reading NixOS Weekly and is excited about your new zine, I think it would be okay to add a link to it at weekly.nixos.org, since one of the things they both seem to do is aggregate news, announcements, and writing related to the Nix community and ecosystem. People who enjoyed reading the defunct one but who might have missed your announcements would probably want to hear about the web zine!

Just wanted to raise that possibility in case it’s something you wanted to pursue. Totally fair if it doesn’t seem necessary or appropriate to you though

Maybe in the future I could continue NixOS weekly instead of the webzine. I’m wasn’t aware of it, so it started on my own way. Let’s see how things evolves, if I can keep the pace, maybe.

Also, the information on the webzine are stored in nix expressions, it should be super easy to extract them to generate the NixOS weekly from it.

2 Likes

Awesome. Either way, thank you for your editorial work!

1 Like

@Solene
Has the webzine already been discontinued?

No, I just lack time to write content there. And I didn’t gather much material over time to make a new issue :thinking:

I like the format of the Webzine, so I hope you find time to continue on it.
I was just wondering, because the links stopped working…

Oh right, sorry for that. The server changed address because some issue happened on the hosting company, and I forgot to ask the person owning this domain to update the address :woman_facepalming:t3:

It’s back online :partying_face:

1 Like

I still can’t access webzine.nixos.cafe as linked in the initial post, is this just a DNS caching error or is that domain supposed to be dead and only snowflake.ovh works?

If it is not a caching issue, please update the OP.

Only webzine.snowflake.ovh works at the moment :frowning: the other one is not under my control, and the person who bought it will drop it anyway because the price for .cafe went totally crazy, so let’s forget about it now

I updated the link in the top post

3 Likes

Cool stuff Solene!

Got a 3B lying around and will follow the article ^-^

Also a subject to clarify for a number of users without flakes:
What to do if the package installed ( via configuration.nix ) is old ?
How to modify the link, hash, and package ver without querying in Nixos pkgs git for pr ? or cloning entire thing locally ?
Can this be done seamlessly just with configuration. nix ?
Am I missing something obvious ?

what’s a 3B?

(20 characters)

(Raspberry Pi) 3B probably

2 Likes

yep , as @NobbZ thought

It seems you forgot to update the IPv6 in DNS…

Please use https://webzine.snowflake.ovh

Should work over IPv6 :thinking:

1 Like

Oh, my fault. Updated the wrong field in my RSS-Reader :flushed: