I’m starting a new job in 2022 and am told that I will be allowed to choose my hardware. What can you recommmend?
- Notebook, no numpad
- Must be decent to run KDE Plasma and a few VMs (2-3) without issues
- 500GB SSD or more for /nix/store and /home, optionally another disk for /data
- Good Battery life (8hrs on office workloads would be nice)
- German Keyboard layout available
- USB Connectivity with 2 or more USB2/3 ports (USB-C would be nice as well)
- HDMI output
- Mobile data possible (not sure whether I get a smartphone with a mobile data plan that I can use as AP when traveling)
- Full-HD should do. As I don’t want a numpad the size is restricted to 15" or less anyways, Full-HD should be perfectly fine. Of course I don’t complain about a better screen.
- CPU Intel or AMD - I honestly don’t care as long as it works and is fast enough for my usecases
- Camera quality. Better is better of course, but I don’t expect to video-chat too much.
- Microphone quality. I don’t care, I will be wearing headphones for audio-calls anyways.
- It does not have to be the lightest of all notebooks, I can carry!
- Also, no experiments. I will be working 8 hours a day with the device, I don’t want to have to fiddle around with WLAN drivers, GPU drivers, etc etc. It has to work.
I will be doing software development (Rust, maybe others) on the device, plus some office work (the usual stuff). I might be watching videos from time to time.
So: No video editing, no GPU-heavy work…
What I am thinking about is a well-powered Thinkpad right now, or a recent tuxedo with 32GB RAM and 1TB SSD plus a decent CPU with 8 cores… But there might be others that I did not consider yet that you guys like.
I said nothing about the price range because I don’t yet know what I will be allowed to order price-wise. Keeping it reasonable of course, I guess.