NUR is looking for a new maintainer

I am not using NUR directly myself actually for a while, but it seems that many other people do.
For me personally flakes have replaced the schema that I also introduced with NUR.
Therefore, I would like to transfer the project to a new maintainer.
The work is not too much for the most part as most repositories are self-contained.
However there are probably infrastructure and CI that could be improved.

I set the 01.01.2025 as a deadline, if there is no new maintainer found until than, I may archive the project by then.

You can apply for maintenance in this issue: Looking for new maintainer · Issue #755 · nix-community/NUR · GitHub

20 Likes

I mainly use to setup firefox extensions and install proton.

What is the alternative? For example, firefox extensions are provided by rycee.firefox-addons. Does this means that if nur project gets archived, we would need to import Robert Helgesson / NUR Expressions · GitLab directly?

Yeah. Should be as easy as that. I also just import my own nur-packages directly.

is there any chance you could point to an example for how you’re handling this, so that NUR is no longer needed?

I was planning to setup NUR to handle browser extensions,
but if i can do this in a flake without depending on NUR being maintained, then that seems to a more future proof option.

You can import even non-flake repository and set flake = false;. and than (pkgs.callPackage name-of-your-nur-input {}).my-package-that-i-want should make it work with packages following the nur-packages convention, because they should only take { pkgs }: {} as an input. Otherwise best to ask the repository author directly to add this as an example in the README.

1 Like