Packaging a redmine plugin

I’m currently trying to package a Redmine plugin that needs a post-install step (namely bundle install).
Since the plugin is fairly simple (GitHub - altsol/redmine_mattermost: Mattermost notification plugin for Redmine) I figured, it shouldn’t be too hard to package it.

Alas I’m confused. I looked at the Mastodon config (as well as gitlab’s and redmine’s respective default.nix) and read the Packaging/Ruby entry in the wiki but I don’t get what I need to do. How to I get the Gem installed? Do I even need bundix, when it’s only one dependency in the Gemfile which could also be installed through nix? Do I need to run bundix outside of the build in a step before attempting to install it (in order to get a gemset.nix)?

Maybe someone can help me clear up my confusion… :slight_smile:

Unfortunately I don’t believe redmine in NixOS currently would support this plugin because it requires gems to run :disappointed: Currently NixOS only supports simple redmine plugins which don’t require a Gemfile.

@julm made an attempt at getting redmine to run with plugins here.

I’m not familiar with ruby and bundler so take this with a grain of salt, but I think modifying the redmine package to support a .withPlugins/.withPackages function would be the proper way to go because we could modify the bundler version that redmine executes with. I think it would be very painful for me to do this, so I’m not offering, unfortunately.

If you want this to happen you likely need to do it yourself, and preferably with a ruby mentor. If you’re interested we can try to find one for you. Let me know.

Thanks for the answer. Since it is unclear if we even stay with redmine in the long term I don’t think I’ll persue this any further. This seems like a major undertaking for a relatively small feature that is strictly “nice to have” :smiley:

Thank you for taking the time to answer! :heart: