Ping maintainers on breakage

Hydra used to ping maintainers when their packages broke. It doesn’t do that anymore, since there was an incident where it spammed every maintainer.

I would propose to start pinging maintainers once again. There seems to be some kind of consensus that maintainers should have real responsibility and I think fixing breakage is a central part of that responsibility. I have even written a script for myself that scrapes hydra and sends me emails.

For spam mitigation, it may be interesting to look into

• notifying only the maintainer of the actual broken derivation or the first maintainer(s) up the chain if there is none. This way a stdenv failure won’t spam every maintainer.
  • notifying only once per week (or other timeframe) per package

I’m not sure if I’m up to hacking hydra myself, so this is mostly intended as a discussion without promise of implementation.

18 Likes

Agreed. Especially with new RFC(s) discussing automation and escalated privileges for maintainers I think this is important.

1 Like

This would make my maintainer-ship a more convenient task. Currently I have to keep track of things on a regular basis, and if I don’t keep up things could be broken for a while.

I’d also like to note that maintainers are typically more responsive to notifications of breakage than, for example, updates. Though a possible drawback (maybe past issue?) is being notified repeatedly about transient failures. That would make this lose value.

3 Likes

Yes please. This would be really helpful.

Being notified upon Hydra failure would be very useful. However I would prefer Hydra to open a n issue on GitHub (assigned to me) rather that receiving an email. This is would help tracking the issue and it would also allow to discuss the issue with other developers.

8 Likes

That’s a very good idea. It would probably be best to implement that outside of hydra, is there some kind of API available?

Yes: Issues - GitHub Docs

Hydra also has an API:

2 Likes

I also very much miss these notifications.

1 Like

To prevent spam of email/issues- perhaps the title could be of the format- hash-package name (Path inside /nix/store) and if it’s found that such an issue has been closed in the last 10 days then don’t create a new one.

I’d also prefer to receive mails from Hydra.

Here is a later Discourse thread on the same topic. (The feature was not implemented there either, unfortunately.)

1 Like

I would love this as a maintainer (though perhaps I would also like to receive email)

I would also love this as a non-maintainer: this would provide an obvious place to share information on the failure, so that as a ‘casual’ contributor it is easy to read up on what has been already found out about it, use that as a starting point to investigate further and share your your results (even if you didn’t get far enough to be able to produce a PR).

3 Likes