Pipewire does not recognize my HDMI audio output

Hello,

Some times ago, I switched from pulseaudio to pipewire. Today, I’m trying to use HDMI audio but it seems not to be recognized by pipewire.

I don’t quite understand how everything works in pipewire, but from my different searches I found that alsa is correctly detecting my HDMI audio output, but not pipewire.

The aplay -l command does list HDMI devices:

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 3: HDMI 0 [PL2492H]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2]

However, searching through pw-cli list-objects results, I did not find any reference to an HDMI audio related Node. I only have DummyOutput nodes and MIDI related nodes.

Pipewire is managed by my nixos configuration like that:

services.pipewire = {
    enable = true;
    alsa.enable = true;
    pulse.enable = true;
    wireplumber.enable = true;
  };

However I don’t know if I need to add something to that configuration and did not find any informations about that in the documentations I found.

I don’t really know where to search from there, nor if it is nix related or not. Any idea ?

I would try looking for upstream troubleshooting docs.

I just learned my laptop also lost ability to play audio over HDMI. Did you made any progress on this? Or did you simply switch to pulse audio?

I am now able to use HDMI audio, however I have tried so many things that I can’t tell with precision what did the tricks. I think it was not a Nixos related problem, it had something to do with my pavucontrol settings.

Had same issue and solved choosing one of the available “cards” in pulsemixer (F3+Enter) or so named “profiles” in pavucontrol (Configuration tab). Same behavior switching back or choosing another available card/output.