Problems after upgrade to 20-03

1. I upgraded system to 20.03 but firefox chromium thunderbird are still old. Even chromium upgraded to 81 system see only 80, the same with firefox upgraded to 75 system see 73.
    2 . How to resolve that:
    nixos-rebuild switch --upgrade
    unpacking channels…
    building Nix…
    building the system configuration…
    trace: warning: The option i18n.consoleKeyMap' defined in /etc/nixos/configuration.nix’ has been renamed to console.keyMap'. trace: warning: The option i18n.consoleFont’ defined in /etc/nixos/configuration.nix' has been renamed to console.font’.
    trace: warning: The following options are deprecated:
  • services.xserver.desktopManager.default
    Please use
    services.xserver.displayManager.defaultSession = “xfce”;
    instead.

Do you install packages via nix-env instead of adding to system packages array by any chance? What do you see on nix-env -q?
And yeah, for the other deprecation issues, you need to change the old values to the new ones in your config.

nix-env -q
ark-19.12.3
caja-1.22.3
chromium-81.0.4044.122
firefox-75.0
geany-1.36
git-minimal-2.25.3
gksu-2.0.2
gparted-1.1.0
gsmartcontrol-1.1.3
hardinfo-0.5.1
hplip-3.19.12
k3b-19.12.3
leafpad-0.8.18.1
libreoffice-6.2.6.2
linux-5.5.17
mate-terminal-1.22.1
moka-icon-theme-5.4.0
pavucontrol-4.0
subversion-1.12.2
thunderbird-68.7.0
unzip-6.0
wget-1.20.3
xfce4-cpufreq-plugin-1.2.1
xfce4-cpugraph-plugin-1.0.5
xfce4-weather-plugin-0.8.10
xkbcomp-1.4.2
xscreensaver-5.43
zip-3.0

iam new ni nix os. what is wrong? which config file i should change?

Nix(OS) has this notion of profiles. If you install software with nix-env -i that ends up in your user profile. The things you configure in your configuration.nix, which you rebuild with nixos-rebuild end up in your system profile. You can upgrade the stuff in your user profile with nix-env -u.

A common pattern is to make little use of user profiles and instead put software into environment.systemPackages. That way it gets updated when your system gets updated.

Problem is not nix-env -u. System is upgraded. Output from nix-env -u is nothing.
Problem is system dont see new package. I open firefox 73 but 75 is installed. And i dont know why.

sudo nixos-rebuild switch
sudo nixos-rebuild switch --upgrade

These comands upgrade all packages but when i open some of them for egzample chromium thunderbird firefox system will open old versions of software. Can anybody help how to block from being open old versions of packages

or how to upgrade firefox or chromium propely

nix-env probably uses your users channels. So nix-env -u will work, if you run nix-channel --update. Or rather, what does nix-channel --list say for your user? You probably don’t have 20.03 in there yet.

How do you know system is upgraded to 20.03? Outputs from your first message was showing your configuration is not compliant to 20.03 yet. If it doesn’t “switch” to the new generation, even though you’ve downloaded the packages under nix store, you are still not upgraded.

Could you give the output of these 2 commands:

• nix-channel --list
  • sudo nix-channel --list

Please check the documentation for upgrading: NixOS 23.11 manual | Nix & NixOS
Also check for declarative vs ad-hoc package management on nixos manual

Looks like more people than I imagined are thinking nix-env as “normal” way to install a package.

sudo nix-channel --list
nixos nixos-20.03 release nixos-20.03.3330.1db42b7fe38

[radek@nixos:~]$ nix-channel --list

[radek@nixos:~]$
did nothing

nix-channel --list | grep nixos
nixos nixos-20.03 release nixos-20.03.3330.1db42b7fe38

nixos is upgraded to 20.03 because i have xfce4 upgraded to 4.14 and i have new kernel 5.4

nixos-version
20.03.1445.95b9c99f6d0 (Markhor)

I edid.:
environment.systemPackages = [ pkgs.chromium pkgs.firefox pkgs.thunderbird pkgs.libreoffice pkgs.geany pkgs.gparted pkgs.ark pkgs.pavucontrol pkgs.zip pkgs.unzip]
but it not upgraded package
removed nix-env -e chroimium firefox libreoffice etc

Alright, I assume all good now then? If you’ve removed local packages the remaining binaries should be from up-to-date channel, looks like your system has only one anyway :+1:

P.s. you can use it like this to make it easier

environment.systemPackages = with pkgs; [
  chromium
  firefox
  thunderbird
  libreoffice
  ... etc. ]

Aah sorry you said it did not upgraded the package. Can you send the output of:

sudo nixos-rebuild switch --upgrade
sudo nix-env -p /nix/var/nix/profiles/system --list-generations

When doing upgrade, I always
nix-channel --update
and
sudo nix-channel --update
after that, you can run
sudo nix-rebuild switch.

I had some weird issues when collecting garbage, and upgrading. Updating channels always helped.