Protontricks giving me trouble

It was working like a week ago. I started messing with flakes and now it doesn’t. I couldn’t even begin to speculate on whether or not those facts are related, but the timing is odd.

Here’s the error message Protontricks is giving me when I try to start it:

Protontricks was closed due to the following error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/nix/store/mp6ibd2zan7aj82ygp53z0qa0zl12sin-protontricks-1.10.1/lib/python3.11/site-packages/protontricks/cli/util.py", line 149, in wrapper
    return cli_func(self, *args, **kwargs)
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/nix/store/mp6ibd2zan7aj82ygp53z0qa0zl12sin-protontricks-1.10.1/lib/python3.11/site-packages/protontricks/cli/main.py", line 230, in main
    steam_apps = get_steam_apps(
                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/nix/store/mp6ibd2zan7aj82ygp53z0qa0zl12sin-protontricks-1.10.1/lib/python3.11/site-packages/protontricks/steam.py", line 1174, in get_steam_apps
    steam_apps += get_custom_compat_tool_installations(steam_root=steam_root)
                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/nix/store/mp6ibd2zan7aj82ygp53z0qa0zl12sin-protontricks-1.10.1/lib/python3.11/site-packages/protontricks/steam.py", line 967, in get_custom_compat_tool_installations
    for tool_app in get_custom_compat_tool_installations_in_dir(dir_):
                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/nix/store/mp6ibd2zan7aj82ygp53z0qa0zl12sin-protontricks-1.10.1/lib/python3.11/site-packages/protontricks/steam.py", line 887, in get_custom_compat_tool_installations_in_dir
    if not compat_tool_dir.is_dir():
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/nix/store/8dzgagiwp6xi6hahsdgq6y4kb5v8kn4j-python3-3.11.8/lib/python3.11/pathlib.py", line 1250, in is_dir
    return S_ISDIR(self.stat().st_mode)
                   ^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/nix/store/8dzgagiwp6xi6hahsdgq6y4kb5v8kn4j-python3-3.11.8/lib/python3.11/pathlib.py", line 1013, in stat
    return os.stat(self, follow_symlinks=follow_symlinks)
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
PermissionError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/usr/share/steam/compatibilitytools.d'

=============

Please include this entire error message when making a bug report.
Log messages:

Found Steam directory at /home/jps/.local/share/Steam
WINETRICKS environment variable is not available. Searching from $PATH.
Found 2 Steam library folders

In case anyone is wondering why I need Protontricks I’ll just explain that upfront. The Linux install script for Mod Organizer 2 requires it.

What are the permissions on PermissionError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/usr/share/steam/compatibilitytools.d' ?

I seem to have circumvented the error by using the flatpak version of Protontricks. Suboptimal to be sure, but it seems to be working.

What are the permissions on PermissionError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/usr/share/steam/compatibilitytools.d' ?

The permissions for “share” is “drwx------“.

The terminal wouldn’t let me go further because I lacked permissions to do so. Of course, it’s less pressing now that I got the flatpak to work and now that I’m not sure how long I’ll be sticking around here.

Well, if you decide to run with nix, and can’t figure this out, feel free to respond back here. I’ve been around nix since 2017, and folks have usually been very helpful. Many open source projects have experienced the issues you see in the community here. Chances are things will settle down in the months to come. In any case, good luck and glad you found a solution!

I’ll keep using NixOS on my gaming PC, partially because it’d be too much of a pain in the ass to switch at this point, but I’m not sure how comfortable or welcome I’d feel contributing more broadly moving forward. I may pop in as issues arise.