Push docker tgz images to registry directly

Anyone who has used the dockerImage.buildImage derivation has this same problem: how do I push these images to the registry?

Before:

docker load -i $(nix-build -A my-image --no-out-link)
# somehow know the docker image name
docker tag $oldname $remotetag
docker push $remotetag

This has multiple problems: it takes time to load and unpack the image in docker, it means that docker needs to be running, and it also means that now there is a need for a garbage-collection mechanism for the loaded images.

Thanks to @lewo for showing me the light, there is a new tool called skopeo that solves all of this (since version 0.1.19):

skopeo copy docker-image://$(nix-build -A my-image --no-out-link) docker://$remotetag

As a bonus, here is a wrapper script that makes the upload a noop if the tag already exists: https://gist.github.com/c106f1007843889d92d6bb115d43b479

Nice. I don’t suppose you have a nifty solution for taking a docker-compose.yml file and turning that into nixos containers?

I suppose it would involve generating a NixOS configuration and then running nixos-rebuild switch. Generally I try to keep projects self-contained and avoid requiring system configuration changes. Unless it involves installing Nix obviously :slight_smile: