Python 3 stuck in path

Hello! I’ve been having some issues with Python 3 and home-manager / nix (I’m not sure which could be causing this…) while trying to run make in a terminal. I have my terminal, zsh + oh-my-zsh managed by home-manager, and any time I try to run make in the folder needed, it complains about a dependency being missing, even though I could do this before using home-manager. For the time being, I removed any Python related packages from my home.nix to make troubleshooting easier, but in doing so nothing changed. which, whereis and where all say that the python binary is still in the nix store, and that’s what my terminal has been defaulting to. Does anyone know what I could do to fix this behavior?
Thanks!

any time I try to run make in the folder needed, it complains about a dependency being missing

Can you be a bit more specific about this? What are you trying to achieve and what dependency is missing?

1 Like

Of course, sorry about that. I’m trying to build a fork ofGodMode9 (Nintendo 3DS homebrew file browser) and it is missing the firmtool dependency. The dependency is installed locally on the machine without nix, and it has compiled fine in the past. If I had to guess, it’s likely because the nix version of Python isn’t aware of the firmtool installed locally. I can also provide the errors that display when running make if needed.

it’s likely because the nix version of Python isn’t aware of the firmtool installed locally

Yes, that is most likely. If I see this correctly, then firmtool is installed via pip for python?

What I would suggest is to make a nix shell or devShell (depending on whether you are using the standard nix or the experimental flakes) for your build project. This is typically the preferred approach if you want to provide any build and runtime dependencies for your software projects, whatever they may be.

If you are already doing this, but it still doesn’t work, you might provide me with your shell.nix or flake.nix. Then either me or other people here will be better able to help you debug this.

1 Like

I tried it with a nix shell and that seems to have fixed it, thank you!

2 Likes