Python package with runtime dependencies

I bet this has already been asked, but I failed to find an answer.
I’m trying to set up an environment to work on this package: GitHub - xaynetwork/xaynet: Xaynet represents an agnostic Federated Machine Learning framework to build privacy-preserving AI applications..

I use the following shell.nix:

with import <nixpkgs> {};

let
  python = python36;
in
pkgs.mkShell {
  name = "pip-env";
  buildInputs = with pkgs; [
    python36Packages.ipython
    python36Packages.virtualenv
    git
    bash
    docker
  ];
  src = null;
  shellHook = ''
    # Allow the use of wheels.
    SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH=$(date +%s)

VENV=dev36env
    if test ! -d $VENV; then
      virtualenv $VENV
    fi
    source ./$VENV/bin/activate

export PYTHONPATH=`pwd`/$VENV/${python.sitePackages}/:$PYTHONPATH
  '';
}

I use direnv so after entering my project directory it seems that I have everything and I can install the project in my virtualenv:

$ which python
/home/little-dude/xain-fl/dev36env/bin/python

$ pip install -e '.[dev]'
things seem to install correctly

Things look good, my virtualenv is here, and my package is installed. However, at runtime, it falls apart:

$ pytest -v

ImportError while loading conftest '/home/little-dude/xain-fl/tests/conftest.py'.       
tests/conftest.py:3: in <module>                                                          
    import grpc                                                                           
dev36env/lib/python3.6/site-packages/grpc/__init__.py:23: in <module>                     
    from grpc._cython import cygrpc as _cygrpc                                            
E   ImportError: libstdc++.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

So here I’m not sure what to do. I think that somehow I need to include my runtime dependency with propagateBuildInput, but I think that I also need to use patchelf although I don’t really understand how and on which binary exactly. Could someone enlighten me please?

you could do two things, either allow for grpc to link against libstdc++, or package the grpc package (not available in nixpkgs, and is abandoned upstream).

To link against libstdc++:

shellHook = ''
 export PYTHONPATH=`pwd`/$VENV/${python.sitePackages}/:$PYTHONPATH
 export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=${lib.makeLibPath [stdenv.cc.cc]}

This should expose libstdc++ through an environment variable.

Taking a step back, the grpc package hasn’t seen an update in 3.5 years grpc · PyPI , you should probably be using grpcio grpcio · PyPI

1 Like

Thank you @jonringer. That is much simpler than I expected. You’re right, I’m actually using the grpcio package, not grpc. However I’m not sure whether you made a typo, but I get:

while evaluating the attribute 'lib.makeLibPath' at /nix/store/xxjjwq2askazv4d4q72gh4jqhz0jypcx-nixos-20.03pre209250.7184df6beb8/nixos/pkgs/top-level/all-packages.nix:61:10:
attribute 'makeLibPath' missing, at /home/little-dude/xain-fl/shell.nix:27:30

Also could you explain what this function does?

sorry, I got confused:

$ nix repl
Welcome to Nix version 2.3.2. Type :? for help.

nix-repl> :l
Added 11354 variables.

nix-repl> lib.make
lib.makeBinPath                   lib.makeLibraryPath               lib.makeSearchPath
lib.makeExtensible                lib.makeOverridable               lib.makeSearchPathOutput
lib.makeExtensibleWithCustomName  lib.makeScope
nix-repl> lib.makeLibraryPath
«lambda @ /home/jon/projects/nixpkgs/lib/strings.nix:142:5»
1 Like

makeLibraryPath:

/* Construct a library search path (such as RPATH) containing the
     libraries for a set of packages
     Example:
       makeLibraryPath [ "/usr" "/usr/local" ]
       => "/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib"
       pkgs = import <nixpkgs> { }
       makeLibraryPath [ pkgs.openssl pkgs.zlib ]
       => "/nix/store/9rz8gxhzf8sw4kf2j2f1grr49w8zx5vj-openssl-1.0.1r/lib:/nix/store/wwh7mhwh269sfjkm6k5665b5kgp7jrk2-zlib-1.2.8/lib"
  */

taken from https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/blob/9660e1211c666962d249542580da0d1219d01461/lib/strings.nix#L144

1 Like

another thing to note, grpcio is on nixpkgs, so you can also just include it:

buildInputs = with pkgs; [
    python36Packages.grpcio
    python36Packages.ipython
    python36Packages.virtualenv
    git
    bash
    docker
  ];
1 Like

Yeah but if I do that, grpcio won’t be installed in the same virtualenv than the rest of the package. It should not be a problem but just in case I prefer your solution with LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

Thank you so much @jonringer without your help and the rest of the community I’d probably have given up on NixOS :slight_smile: Seeing how to fix these small issues is really helpful for learning and I’m starting to really enjoy my new setup.

packages like that will be added to PYTHONPATH in your shell, so python is able to pick up grpcio

i resolved this issue by a simple installation of the clangStdenv or gccStdenv package globally (or in the nix shell you work in). Choose one you like, you are not able to install both since they clash each other. This also solved ton of other problems i had where programs were linking to libstdc++ :slight_smile:

Also if someone tries the export LD_LIBRARY_PATH version from @jonringer, which is also working btw, make sure to use lib.makeLibraryPath instead of lib.makeLibPath. Guess it is just a typo :slight_smile:

1 Like

It was a typo. Opps. Thanks for pointing that out :slight_smile:

I’ve been using the same technique in a flake.nix, and it was fine until recently where I updated my nixpkgs in my flake w/o updating the underlying system (which is also NixOS). Now I get the following error when using git inside the nix develop environment:

git: /nix/store/4s21k8k7p1mfik0b33r2spq5hq7774k1-glibc-2.33-108/lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.34' not found (required by /nix/store/8dn12i3d7harw8g7dzk6dy7c5diz5ibp-gcc-11.3.0-lib/lib/libgcc_s.so.1)

So I guess one really should be specifying Python packages inside flake.nix/shell.nix as much as possible, and the virtualenv is only useful for python packages that doesn’t require ANY additional libraries other than python itself. Otherwise there might be surprises when one updates the flake/system.

We should really “solve” the glibc issue. It’s the only case in which nix isn’t freely able to pick and choose binaries because of how dynamic linking is done :frowning:

2 Likes

One naive “solution” could be wrap all packages with a shell script that unset all environmental variables, which is very ugly :frowning:

I don’t think that would help, the symbols would already be loaded, and glibc makes the assumption that there will never be a competing glibc version.

Arch gets around this by regenerating the ld cache after upgrading glibc https://github.com/archlinux/svntogit-packages/blob/5efa91285c851787ed4086116fa2da8dea254429/glibc/repos/core-x86_64/glibc.install

maybe we should do something similar for NixOS? and as part of a generation’s activate, that we create a /etc/ld-nix.so.preload with the system’s glibc. Wouldn’t help people using stable and picking from unstable, but it would help with people upgrading their system and then getting the error.

Other options:

• Move away from glibc
  • Rarely update glibc minor versions

Here’s my attempt to partially solve this: nixos/preloadLibraries: init by jonringer · Pull Request #177788 · NixOS/nixpkgs · GitHub

Arch never gets into trouble of loading two libc.so.6 versions. Old and new version are both present on disk as a symlink with the same name: /lib64/libc.so.6. ELF binaries use SONAME to load library and thus avoid encoding specific libc version. Dynamic loader does not have a reason to load libc.so.6 twice.

The ldconfig call you linked is needed to regenerate ld.so.cache binary cache. It’s used to speed up resolution of library names (like libc.so.6) to full path (like /lib/libc.so.6). For this specific library ldconfig run is not needed as path never changes. ldconfig run is important when glibc adds or removes other .so libraries (like recently removed libpthread.so).

nixpskgs’ glibc does not populate cache at all and resolves libraries afresh every time. Multiple libc.so.6 versions available at different paths is a nixpkgs-specific issue. But I think it’s only an issue when you use LD_LIBRARY_PATH to load a library not compatible to the binary you are about to run. It should not happen on it’s own (If we ignore /run/opengl-driver and /run/current-system/sw/lib/kde4/plugins).

1 Like