Running nixos iso on asus rog stryx

Also of note:using only kernel from release 20.09 did allow me to reach up to the bash shell,however the kernel included was not recent enough (even linuxPackages-latest) and on any button press it would turn off.
That is a known problem fixed on linux 5.11

So it’s probably somethinf that’s been changed between 20.09 and 21.05

And yes,I’ve tried with gnome 3 with no sucess

also:how do I build an install iso with systemd-boot?

Did you ever try booting the usb drive in legacy mode / Non-EFI? Might be worth a shot, as the whole bootloading process will be a bit different.

Also you could use another PC and install nixos on a usb flash drive or external ssd, then boot your laptop from that drive. Maybe this makes it easier to fiddle with the bootloeader config, in case the iso format limits you in some way.
EDIT: Could also use qemu on manjaro to do that.

1 Like

As an update,Ive succeded to run and install nixos from a pendrive that I’ve built with the classical nixos-install.
I’ve then successfully installed nixos on my main system and run plasma 5 on it.

However when I’'ve tried later that day to update the system plasmashell would crash with the error qt.qpa.plugin: Could not find the Qt platform plugin “xcb” in “”

The weirdest thing is that,again, the plasma 5 built from earlier this morning would work without problems

Ok,I’ve fixed it by enabling both nvidia prime and modesetting

1 Like