`security.acme.preliminarySelfsigned` has no effect

I am new to NixOS and I would like to use it to serve a Elixir Phoenix application.

In order to do so, I was trying to configure the security.acme options in my /etc/nixos/configuration.nix in order to get self-signed certificate:

…
  security.acme = {
    certs = {
      "myapp.location.example.com" = {
        webroot = "/var/www/myapp";
        email = "me@example.com";
      };
    };
    renewInterval = "minutely";
    preliminarySelfsigned = true;
  };
  …

According to the documentation, it seems preliminarySelfsigned is true by default anyway.

So, I do not have a running server yet, but I was expecting a self-signed certificate to be generated after adding this configuration. However, I do not see any certificates in /var/lib/acme. I noticed that the /var/lib/acme/myapp.location.example.com folder was created with a account_key.json file inside but nothing else.

Is this the expected behavior? If so, how can I get the self-signed certificate?

For information, I installed NixOS with the minimal installation CD and here is my full /etc/nixos/configuration.nix file:

{ config, pkgs, ... }:

{
  imports =
    [
      ./hardware-configuration.nix
    ];

boot.loader.grub.enable = true;
  boot.loader.grub.version = 2;
  boot.loader.grub.device = "/dev/sda";

i18n = {
    consoleFont = "Lat2-Terminus16";
    consoleKeyMap = "no";
    defaultLocale = "en_US.UTF-8";
  };

environment.systemPackages = with pkgs; [
    wget
    vim
    openssl
  ];

services.openssh.enable = true;

users.users.root.openssh.authorizedKeys.keys = [
    "ssh-rsa ***" # Sanitized value
  ];

security.acme = {
    certs = {
      "myapp.location.example.com" = { # Sanitized value
        webroot = "/var/www/myapp"; # Sanitized value
        email = "me@example.com"; # Sanitized value
      };
    };
    renewInterval = "minutely";
    preliminarySelfsigned = true;
  };

system.stateVersion = "19.03";
}

I had a look at the /etc/systemd/system/acme-selfsigned-myapp.location.example.com.service file:

…
ExecStart=/nix/store/l5jypj9zfqzkra69llnwaq8ml13d90z7-unit-script-acme-selfsigned-myapp.location.example.com-start
…

Out of curiosity, I ran the /nix/store/l5jypj9zfqzkra69llnwaq8ml13d90z7-unit-script-acme-selfsigned-myapp.location.example.com-start command and it created a self-signed certificate.

So it seems my configuration was correct but the service is not starting.