`services.xserver.xkb.extraLayouts` doesn't seem to be compatible with Sway

I have some custom layouts configured using services.xserver.xkb.extraLayouts, like so:

services.xserver.xkb.extraLayouts = {
  bsk = {                            
    description = "BB Switch";       
    symbolsFile = ./bsk;             
    languages = [ "eng" "fr" "it" ]; 
  };                                 
};

and I also have something like this, in wayland.windowManager.sway.extraConfig:

input type:keyboard {
  xkb_layout bsk
}

Basically, I just want to have a custom layout and use it with my WM. It used to work, until I updated my system. Now, on nixos-rebuild switch, it complains that:

error: builder for '/nix/store/xq9h502wnqwxpgc3zx8zh19q1ysvj1dv-sway.conf.drv' failed with exit code 1;
       last 25 log lines:
       > Fontconfig error: No writable cache directories
       > Fontconfig error: No writable cache directories
       > 00:00:00.048 [sway/input/keyboard.c:732] [xkbcommon] [XKB-338] Couldn't find file "symbols/bsk" in include paths
       > 00:00:00.048 [sway/input/keyboard.c:732] [xkbcommon] [XKB-338] 1 include paths searched:
       > 00:00:00.048 [sway/input/keyboard.c:732] [xkbcommon] [XKB-338]         /nix/store/4d6p2fvack9fzcfp78xw9g45wz6m0pri-xkeyboard-config-2.41/etc/X11/xkb
       > 00:00:00.048 [sway/input/keyboard.c:732] [xkbcommon] [XKB-338] 3 include paths could not be added:
       > 00:00:00.048 [sway/input/keyboard.c:732] [xkbcommon] [XKB-338]       /homeless-shelter/.config/xkb
       > 00:00:00.048 [sway/input/keyboard.c:732] [xkbcommon] [XKB-338]   /homeless-shelter/.xkb
       > 00:00:00.048 [sway/input/keyboard.c:732] [xkbcommon] [XKB-338]  /etc/xkb
       > 00:00:00.048 [sway/input/keyboard.c:732] [xkbcommon] [XKB-769] Abandoning symbols file "(unnamed)"
       > 00:00:00.048 [sway/input/keyboard.c:732] [xkbcommon] Failed to compile xkb_symbols
       > 00:00:00.048 [sway/input/keyboard.c:732] [xkbcommon] Failed to compile keymap
       > 00:00:00.048 [sway/config.c:872] Error on line 37 'xkb_layout bsk': Failed to compile keymap: [XKB-338] Couldn't find file "symbols/bsk" in include paths (/nix/store/h5g6096x1ri7s1g4yz5cy2xgwzds87sf-sway.conf)
       > 00:00:00.057 [sway/config.c:435] Error(s) loading config!
       For full logs, run 'nix log /nix/store/xq9h502wnqwxpgc3zx8zh19q1ysvj1dv-sway.conf.drv'
error: 1 dependencies of derivation '/nix/store/s64hkvjq5g4jc6fhk4f41fkcmclwv0bc-activation-script.drv' failed to build

My understanding of this error is that it tries to validate the configuration file at build time, but fails to resolve the keyboard layouts, because it doesnā€™t refer to the correct derivation of xkb, the one that does contain my custom layouts.

wayland.windowManager.sway.extraConfig

Where is this option coming from? home-manager?

I should have been more specific: it does indeed come from home-manager, which I use as a module of my system configuration.

Ok, Iā€™ve found it here.
The solution is to take into account XKB_CONFIG_ROOT.
If home-manager is installed as a NixOS module that command could pick it up from config.environment.sessionVariables. For example, hereā€™s how the xserver module validates its layout option:

system.checks = singleton (pkgs.runCommand "xkb-validated" {
      inherit (cfg.xkb) dir model layout variant options;
      nativeBuildInputs = with pkgs.buildPackages; [ xkbvalidate ];
      preferLocalBuild = true;
    } ''
      ${optionalString (config.environment.sessionVariables ? XKB_CONFIG_ROOT)
        "export XKB_CONFIG_ROOT=${config.environment.sessionVariables.XKB_CONFIG_ROOT}"
      }
      XKB_CONFIG_ROOT="$dir" xkbvalidate "$model" "$layout" "$variant" "$options"
      touch "$out"
    '');

When using home-manager standalone, I donā€™t think itā€™s possible because that check is performed at build time and thereā€™s now way to know what the environment will look like at run time. Possible solutions could be:

1. Add an option in the vein of networking.nftables.preCheckRuleset to remove config lines that canā€™t be checked reliably

2. Add an option to disable the check entirely

3. Make the failure non-fatal, just emit a warning.

1 Like

You should probably report this to the maintainer of the sway module in home-manager, because from NixOS thereā€™s not much we can do.

It seems that option 2. already exists, at wayland.windowManager.sway.checkConfig. Iā€™ve used it as a workaround. Iā€™ll notify the HM maintainers of this issue, eventually.

FWIW there are talks about the problem here:

And a PR for a possible way to fix things here:

1 Like