Went to put nixos on a laptop since I run it for work and everything is great. This is my first experience with 21.05.
Encountered several problems w/ the live images and gave up.
w/ gnome image
- Firefox worked fine when not connected to wifi. When connected to wifi it would immediately close w/ message “exiting due to channel error” & “bus error (core dumped)”. I troubleshooted by running firefox w/o extensions (safe-mode), checking dbus, and running w/
dbus-launch. It would immediately crash no matter what. This prevented me from following the docs.
- gparted failed to start
- the terminal was not fully interactive and backspace keypresses would be rendered as spaces. It was like the system didn’t have any terminfo on hand.
- xterm failed to start also.
w/ kde image
- Firefox would stay open slightly longer, but would close anyway after about a few minutes or less. I do not know if the two issues were related.
- the terminal failed to start
- xterm failed to start, also
- during one attempt, i used the kde settings to change the timezone, and any keyboard input on the status bar (eg, entering a wifi password or searching for an application) would crash kde.
It’s not pertinent to nixos, but I also want to report that my overall experience tonight was just poor. I started with Pop!OS, which had a ‘shakey’ screen issue I was unable to resolve after an hour … but it did install. Clear Linux had the same display issue and failed to install without presenting any helpful troubleshooting tip. I took my frustration out on a disposable household item.