Starknet Cryptocurrency "contributions"

There’s a whole section at the end about it which is more precise. As for the exact numbers, I am on my phone so I cannot grab them but it’s closer to 15-20k than 40k.

Is that 15-20k of STRK or a converted currency such as USD or EURO?

It’s in EUR, yes. (Something for the 20 chars limit)

How is that possible?

• All but one of the transactions happened between 2024/02/22 and 2024/03/04 (source).
  • My 28438.41 STRK figure does not include the most recent transaction on 2024/06/16 of 111 STRK.
  • The STRK → EUR conversion rate was between 1.62 and 1.82 at that time (source).

Given 28438 STRK converted at the prior rate of 1.6 (choosing the lowest of that time range), there should be approximately 45,500 EUR.

2 Likes

It’s sufficient for 5 donors or so to say they want their donations back or they don’t want to donate to the binary cache and it gives you the result.

Exactly as @djacu says, I’d expect everybody to have donated to that address to have expected it to go exclusively towards the binary cache.

Among the three points under “What we will do with the funds”, the first two aren’t even for the binary cache. And the third point is only tangentially about the binary cache. And any of this is no reason that would prevent you from giving it to the foundation.

I think anyone is free to contribute to Jeff Bezos’ retirement fund, this initiative was explicitly towards setting a sustainable future of NixOS. I understand that not everyone is interested into this but @Infinisil you jumping on me this way is very unwelcome and unprofessional. I know you are not a volunteer of the project and you are paid by commercial interests to work on things.

This has absolutely nothing to do with the topic, there’s no reason to bring my employment status into this, I won’t debate this.

This is not my case, I am a volunteer and I do my best in my free time. If you want to suggest a constructive way to solve the situation, please do advise but I must remind you probably that if I donate this money to the Foundation under my personal name, I am also liable to prove the provenance of this money. Some folks donated anonymously and do not wish to reveal their identity. If you want to take the legal liability for that among many other things, let’s talk about it.

This is the first time I’m hearing about this, and I’m surprised that you don’t have a plan for that, because afaik the entire premise of the pad was for somebody else to figure out how to make it work.

So how about this: Make the donation to the foundation while providing all receipts from the exchange, so that the funds can be tracked down to come from the public Starknet address here.

In the meantime, I don’t think pressuring me this way is the good way to get things done. I don’t understand why you keep acting this way.

I think it’s very justified to be worried about where so much money is going after over 4 months, no? You made yourself responsible for those funds, I expect some accountability.

4 Likes

Not including the most recent transaction (2024/06/16 of 111 STRK), there were 27 transfers of STRK to the account previously mentioned. It would take either the top 9 donors or the bottom 21 donors to say they do not want their donation to go to the binary cache to reach the range of 15-20k. Just as a function of amount, at least half of those donations would have to have have explicitly opted out from their donation going to the binary cache.

The wording in the document says

a. To fund the binary cache, send it to 0x17549d7ce007ddc10821084693888bb180e9775a355a45417062d85eb14c215

It does not say “see below for what we will do with the funds” and as @Infinisil mentioned, the first two are not for the binary cache.

I am in agreement with @Infinisil that the funds should be donated to the foundation with receipts from the exchange so everything can be tracked and transparent.

4 Likes

I had a private conversation with @RaitoBezarius where I dug into the details a bunch more, here’s the main points that I found out (and @RaitoBezarius confirmed that it’s okay to share):

• The address was used even before the pad was written, when @RaitoBezarius was privately reaching out to people
  • The pad was initially written by @zimbatm (who was on the board), @zimbatm trusted @RaitoBezarius to accept donations on that address
  • The pad is written ambiguously on what the funds sent to that specific address will be used for
  • Almost everybody that sent to the address has talked to @RaitoBezarius about the intent of the transaction. Though the pad did not indicate that people should talk to @RaitoBezarius beforehand, so some funds are truly anonymous
  • The address was not only used for donations, but also to exchange the Starknet tokens for other currencies (crypto and non-crypto) for people who didn’t want to touch Starknet
  • This situation makes it tricky for @RaitoBezarius to be fully transparent about the address without disclosing who the funds came from and what they intended them for
9 Likes