Steam games crash instantly

I tried to launch GOD EATER 2 Rage Burst with goverlay enabled (had some performance issues, didn’t know it’s not my PC’s fault). Everything was fine until i added “taskset -c 0 %command%” (because of a suggestion on protonDB) to the launch settings and after that most of my game library stopped working at all. “PROTON_LOG=1 %command%” doesn’t work (no log file in /home directory), terminal output shows the same errors for almost any game:

ERROR: ld.so: object ‘/home/lxf/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so’ from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object ‘/home/lxf/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_64/gameoverlayrenderer.so’ from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64): ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object ‘/home/lxf/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so’ from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.

Steam is installed as a nix package, not flatpak.

Uninstalling goverlay, mangohud and vkbasalt didn’t help.

Sorry for my English and thank you for your time!

1 Like

The Wrong ELF Class error can be safely ignored according to the Arch Wiki, so that’s probably not the cause.

Steam keeps its logs in ~/.local/share/Steam/logs, so you can find more information there. More specifically, you should check out console_log.txt, which will give you all the console output of previous Steam launches.

If you see nothing wrong, it’s worth a shot to re-install Steam in the ~/.local/share/Steam directory without deleting games and settings, but if you’re gonna do this, please :warning: make a backup :warning: first.

1 Like

Did you install steam with environment.systemPackages? If so, use the module instead: NixOS Search

It does a whole bunch of work to set up an fhs env and some other stuff without which steam cannot launch games under NixOS.

I’m not sure off the top of my head if the full steam reinstallation is necessary in this case, I think the change in environment is enough.

2 Likes

Do you mind sharing a sample of your configuration for Steam? I’ve seen this one ( Steam - NixOS Wiki ), but I’m unsure if there’s any more tweaks I would need to do.

I just use programs.steam.enable: dotfiles/nixos-config/hosts/yui/games.nix at 93791a4bd5682e34977ea9569ca315889601f624 · TLATER/dotfiles · GitHub

Most of the other options aren’t relevant if you just play games on a single host, but apparently there’s a new option I had not seen yet for including other proton versions: programs.steam.extraCompatPackages.

Unsure I’ll switch to using that, games can be quite sensitive to it and only proton-ge seems to be packaged currently.