Steam play with non steam games

Has anyone managed to run a non steam game with steam play on NixOS yet? I tried a Windows only game I had bought on GOG with no luck. Haven’t had a chance to dig in yet to figure out the issue, but was curious if anyone had any success yet?

1 Like

I have run the Windows version of Sonic Mania using Steam Play on NixOS. Worked great.

1 Like

I got the GoG version of No Man’s Sky to work perfectly with this:

export STEAM_COMPAT_DATA_PATH=~/.steam/steam/steamapps/compatdata/
cd ~/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Proton\ 3.7
steam-run ./proton run ~/Downloads/setup_no_mans_sky_44233_main_(25842).exe
steam-run ./proton run ~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/pfx/drive_c/GOG\ Games/No\ Man\'s\ Sky/Binaries/NMS.exe

No luck adding it to the steam launcher yet, but just made a script that does that for me.

5 Likes

PlayOnLinux plans to support proton in the next weeks.

Source: Phoenicis PlayOnLinux 5.0 - Alpha 2 - PlayOnLinux - Run your Windows applications on Linux easily!

Can’t say I’ve ever gotten PlayOnLinux to work, given that it downloads arbitrary wine binaries that won’t run on NixOS.

Some windows games work with steam play, some don’t. I’m still trying to figure out how to properly debug this stuff and fix things there.
Another alternative for playing windows games under NixOS is Lutris. It also uses proton/wine and knows which version and configuration of these tools fit to each game and how to install the game.

there’s probably a missing library, unfortunately to debug what library missing you usually need to use strace or gdb, which aren’t super user friendly (unless you’re familiar already with those tools)