Steam, `steam-run` and joysticks

Apart from my Linux boxen, I have a Nintendo Switch with both its official wireless joy-cons and an unofficial wired pro controller.

The wireless joy-cons over bluetooth are probably too complex to figure out how to get to work, but at least the wired controller should be fine, I guess.

In fact, I can use and calibrate it fine in KDE’s System Settings. But neither in Steam nor in stuff ran with steam-run do I seem to get it running.

Is there any trick, or is this a bug?

1 Like

I had a few problems getting my PS4 controller recognized correctly and found a semi working fix by adding a few udev rules. One of those is for the Switch controller but I haven’t tested it.

services.udev.extraRules = ''
    # NS PRO Controller USB
    KERNEL=="hidraw*", ATTRS{idVendor}=="20d6", ATTRS{idProduct}=="a711", MODE="0660", TAG+="uaccess", GROUP="input"
'';

Other rules can be found in my configuration at
https://github.com/Moredread/nixos-config/blob/384a8fc01f5324336fbce3d6eea97be5b84debe2/configs/services.nix#L28-L62

I’m not sure where I got them from, but Gamepad - ArchWiki might help you.

2 Likes

Thanks, this (+ fiddling with settings in Steam) seems to have made the wireless joy-cons work in Steam.

I still can’t get them to work on non-Steam games ran with steam-run. Any ideas?

I will test the unofficial Pro controller later, as I don’t have it with me right now.

I tried the wired (unofficial) Nintendo Switch Pro controller and for some reason it does not work neither in Steam nor steam-run.

It works fine natively though.

Odd that a wired controller gives more trouble than the wireless one.

I’m encountering perhaps a related issue where a program I’m trying to launch with steam-run exits with the error:

This program needs capability CAP_DAC_OVERRIDE and CAP_SYS_RAWIO to run.
Please either run "setcap cap_dac_override,cap_sys_rawio=ep" on this program to set capabilities, or run it as root.

Running it with steam-run sudo or directly as root yeilds:

/nix/store/wn9pjyjq0srh6mrg7ajwy9zh6db3v2m7-steam-run: line 9: /path/to/executable: Permission denied
/nix/store/wn9pjyjq0srh6mrg7ajwy9zh6db3v2m7-steam-run: line 9: exec: /path/to/executable: cannot execute: Permission denied