Sumner Evans invites you @sumner:nevarro.space

While I (think that I) understand what an invitation in Matrix is, I’m curious why I received this one, and why the official NixOS space appears to have been… damaged.

This invite appeared some days ago and I expected to see some notification if this was a planned change at the organisational level, but I’ve seen nothing so far including on the Community page. Did I miss it?

2 Likes

The old space hit a split brain situation months ago, when private data was expunged from our homeserver, when it ran on EMS.

This means, that the state resolution is not working correctly, and different users see different icons, names and descriptions, or often none of these.

We decided therefore to use the room upgrade feature to migrate into a new Matrix space. This is that space: #space:nixos.org

The old space should appear with a strikingly red NixOS logo as seen below:

4 Likes

Visiting #space:nixos.org in Element web results in the invite from @sumner.
Accepting the invite results in the old-and-busted space being replaced with the new hotness, with Room memberships appearing intact.

Nowhere did I see the NixOS (replaced) with the red background icon.

Thank you, @hexa, for the background information. I hope that anyone else who gets surprised by this invitation from @sumner will find this and understand what’s going on, though an announcement in the places where such announcements go would be preferable.

1 Like

Yeah, which points to the state resolution issue I mentioned above.