The Nix Hour, a weekly Nix Q&A Lecture by Tweag

We’re going to focus on lookup paths (e.g. <nixpkgs>) for this weeks Nix Hour at 2024-04-19T15:00:00Z! If anybody has any extra questions about this topic, either:

• Ask them in this issue in advance with a comment
  • Join the livestream and use the chat to ask questions live
1 Like

We’re going to go on an expedition of the module system for this week’s Nix Hour at 2024-04-26T15:00:00Z! If anybody has any extra questions about this topic, either:

3 Likes

Day and time in May

The Nix Hour gets a new day and time every month in order to allow people with different abilities to watch it live.

For May, the Nix Hour will be 15:00 CEST on Wednesdays! We’ll also skip the next week, so the following Nix Hour after this week will be on 2024-05-08T13:00:00Z and repeat for 4 weeks until a new time is announced for June.

You can also see the times in the NixOS calendar.

1 Like

As you might’ve seen, I’m pretty busy recently, but I’ve decided to continue holding the Nix Hours as scheduled :heart:

In this week’s Nix Hour at 2024-05-08T13:00:00Z we’re going to explore Nixpkgs lib! If anybody has any questions about this topic, either:

7 Likes

Thanks so much for these Nix Hours. I don’t know if it comes across in the number of people in attendance or the YouTube view counters, but I find these videos invaluable. Watching them has been the tipping point in me actually feeling like I have the knowledge i need to use the nix ecosystem of tools and learn more on my own as I need to — more so than other learning resources (also good in their own right).

9 Likes

In this week’s Nix Hour at 2024-05-15T13:00:00Z we’re going to talk about fetchers and output sizes! If anybody has any questions relating to this, either:

1 Like

In this week’s Nix Hour at 2024-05-22T13:00:00Z we’re going to talk about Nix eval performance! If anybody has any questions relating to this, either:

3 Likes

In this week’s Nix Hour at 2024-05-29T13:00:00Z we’re going to talk about special derivation attributes! If anybody has any questions relating to this, either:

Day and time in June

The Nix Hour gets a new day and time every month in order to allow people with different abilities to watch it live.

For May, the Nix Hour will be 16:00 CEST on Thursdays! The following Nix Hour after this week will be on 2024-06-06T14:00:00Z and repeat for 4 weeks until a new time is announced for July.

Unfortunately I’ve gotten sick, so there won’t be a Nix Hour this week. Assuming I’m fully back next week, we’ll cover the same topic then instead :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I’m back! As planned for last week already, in this week’s Nix Hour at 2024-06-06T14:00:00Z we’re going to talk about special derivation attributes! If anybody has any questions relating to this, either:

3 Likes

In this weeks Nix hour at 2024-06-13T14:00:00Z we’re talking about Nix tooling in general! If anybody has any extra questions about this topic, either:

1 Like

In this weeks Nix hour at 2024-06-20T14:00:00Z we’re doing some Nixpkgs gardening! If anybody has any questions about this topic, either:

In this weeks Nix hour at 2024-06-27T14:00:00Z we’re looking at language tooling again! If anybody has any questions about this topic, either:

Day and time in July

For July, the Nix Hour will be 16:00 CEST on Wednesdays! The following Nix Hour after this week will be on 2024-07-03T14:00:00Z and repeat for 4 weeks until a new time is announced for August.

1 Like

In this weeks Nix hour at 2024-07-03T14:00:00Z we’re writing packages, perhaps from the list of requested ones! If anybody has any questions about this topic, either:

4 Likes

Since it worked pretty well last week, we’ll do another one about writing packages, this week at 2024-07-10T14:00:00Z! If anybody has any questions about this topic, either:

This week at 2024-07-17T14:00:00Z we’ll talk about a tree-based list implementation! If anybody has any questions about this topic, either:

2 Likes

This week at 2024-07-24T14:00:00Z we’ll talk about tricky package overrides! If anybody has any questions about this topic, either:

Day and time in August

For August, the Nix Hour will be 16:00 CEST on Fridays! We’ll also skip the next week, so the following Nix Hour after this week will be on 2024-08-09T14:00:00Z and repeat for 4 weeks until a new time is announced for September.

1 Like