The option definition `sound' in `/nix/store/xyz/configuration.nix' no longer has any effect

Really, remove option sound??

building the system configuration…
error:
… while calling the ‘head’ builtin
at /nix/store/iqxdbcjlg9wx8gdc8bdhy9nsd5imcbjp-source/lib/attrsets.nix:1575:11:
1574| || pred here (elemAt values 1) (head values) then
1575| head values
| ^
1576| else
… while evaluating the attribute ‘value’
at /nix/store/iqxdbcjlg9wx8gdc8bdhy9nsd5imcbjp-source/lib/modules.nix:821:9:
820| in warnDeprecation opt //
821| { value = addErrorContext "while evaluating the option ${showOption loc}':" value; | ^ 822| inherit (res.defsFinal') highestPrio; (stack trace truncated; use '--show-trace' to show the full trace) error: Failed assertions: - The option definition sound’ in `/nix/store/dz9g99sz3qkvzmrlvv0195l5xw1s7020-source/configuration.nix’ no longer has any effect; please remove it.
The option was heavily overloaded and can be removed from most configurations.

This part?? But why??

sound.enable = true;
hardware.pulseaudio.enable = false;
security.rtkit.enable = true;
services.pipewire = {
enable = true;
alsa.enable = true;
alsa.support32Bit = true;
pulse.enable = true;
# If you want to use JACK applications, uncomment this
#jack.enable = true;
# use the example session manager (no others are packaged yet so this is enabled by default,
# no need to redefine it in your config for now)
#media-session.enable = true;
};

The release notes have the deets, as usual: nixpkgs/nixos/doc/manual/release-notes/rl-2411.section.md at 3eeff54780a1a8c73c82ca51987962b62bd4219e · NixOS/nixpkgs · GitHub

Sticking to stable means you get to read those without having to dig through commits before it’s dropped in your lap. I’d really recommend it to anyone who tends to have your reaction to breaking changes (such as myself).

You use pipewire, so just remove it. It just enables alsa, which is done through the pipewire module anyway (you even use the alsa support option of pipewire), so the option has always been useless in your config.

1 Like

OK, tnx. Changed my config, and it works without error messages…

https://wiki.nixos.org/wiki/PipeWire

1 Like

Strangely when I do this exact thing my laptop ceases to produce any sound whatsoever. I appear able to set the volumes, but nothing comes out the speaker.

Fun - mind making a new thread and sharing your config, maybe logs if you know how to get them? You’re unlikely to get much help on a solved thread.