The Summer of Nix - learn Nix while doing useful, paid work

Hi all,

I am proud to announce a major Nix development program called “The Summer of Nix” that will happen this summer between August 2nd and October 15th.

The program’s goal: Assemble a team of beginner and advanced Nixers to learn together while doing useful work - all of this getting paid a nice stipend. The theme of this very first edition is about improving the packaging situation for free and open source software in Nix and it is fully funded by the European Comission via the NLNet and NixOS foundations. More information and how to participate can be found on summer.nixos.org. Applications are open now!

The program is a first for us, @garbas, @adisbladis, @Arsleust, @leenaars, @edolstra and myself who have been involved in the organization so far, and I believe it is also a first for the Nix community as a whole. Don’t hesitate to write us questions, ideas and suggestions about it to summer@nixos.org or as comment in this thread.

A last word about who I am: I work at Tweag, mostly in a coordinating role, and have heard about Nix the first time I entered the office about three years ago. Coming from academia from a “computationally assisted” domain with a lot of ad-hoc approaches to programming, I have been deeply impressed by its ideas and community, and truly believe that Nix can bring a lot of value to many people and fields of application. I am glad to see it mature and attract funding that makes projects like this possible. I hope that more will come.

46 Likes

I would 100% participate in this as a learner (I can get by with nix well enough but have much to learn!), but it’s not feasible living in the USA with a full-time job and your healthcare tied to it.

I hope you get some great candidates!

Thank you for this awesome opportunity.
would really love to be a part of it.