Unable to install Gnome extension Pano

Link to the extension in question: Pano - Clipboard Manager - GNOME Shell Extensions

Tried to install Pano both through the extensions website and declaratively on my configuration.nix

environment.systemPackages = with pkgs; [
    gnomeExtensions.pano
    libgda6 gsound # also tried with explicitly including the dependencies
]

In both methods of trying to install the extension I ended up with this error Requiring GSound, version none: Typelib file for namespace 'GSound' (any version) not found. This still came out after explicitly including GSound in the systemPackages, anyway I can fix this?

Thanks in advance!

2 Likes

Hey @thonkpad

I just had the same issue. I noticed that there’s already a patch in Nixpkgs for this issue, but the patch hasn’t made it into the stable 22.11 release yet.

If you install pano from nixpkgs-unstable it should work.
I just installed it imperatively (with the new CLI, with flakes enabled) in my user profile with:

nix profile install nixpkgs#gnomeExtensions.pano

After logging out and logging back in, it worked for me!

1 Like

Thanks @tshaynik! I can confirm this works quite well from unstable :tada:

same issue here. I can confirm that it works fine with the patch on Ubuntu 22.10 too. I see that the version on EGO is 19. Is this likely to get updated soon?

nixos-unstable already has version 19. GNOME Shell extensions are not usually updated on stable NixOS channels. When using Nix on other Linux distros, you will probably want to use nixpkgs-unstable channel anyway. If you still have issues, you might want to create a new thread.

oh, I didn’t realise that this was NixOS specific. Does this mean that the patch hasn’t been submitted upstream? if it hasn’t, I’ll submit a merge request to Pano’s github.

That patch does not really make sense if your operating system has centralized location for looking for libraries. And it is fundamentally incompatible with the way extensions are shipped through GNOME’s extension portal. As such, it does not make sense to upstream it.

1 Like

I can’t get it working.
I added unstablePkgs.gnomeExtensions.pano gsound libgda6 in my environment.systemPackages. When I restart gnome, it freeze with a black screen.
How did you install it in your config ?