Upgrading to 24.05

Hi. When upgrading the NixOS channel to 24.05 and running the sudo nixos-rebuild switch --upgrade command, does it also upgrade to KDE Plasma 6.xx (I’m on KDE Plasma 5.27.11 right now)? Or do I need to do a clean install?

I’m guessing this is what I need to do?
https://www.reddit.com/r/NixOS/comments/1drvg14/plasma_5_to_plasma_6/?rdt=55340

What do I do for:
services.xserver = {
layout = “ca”;
xkbVariant = “”;
};

Yep. The xkb options were moved to their own submodule, just rename them as the deprecation messages suggest. It’s still necessary on wayland for at least xwayland stuff.

1 Like

Thx for your answer. I don’t understand as to what I should replace or rename as for the xkb stuff. Do I just need to replace xserver with displaymanager, desktopmanager or something else?

Also, do I also replace xserver with displaymanager for this command: services.xserver.videoDrivers = [ “modesetting” ];

No, you just put it under xkb. Nothing about xserver changes.

services.xserver.xkb = {
  layout = “ca”;
  variant = “”; # This is the default variant anyway, so you could delete it
};

Same for the drivers, you just keep that. It’s only plasma6 that doesn’t live in the xserver module anymore.

1 Like

Ok. I heard Plasma 6 was using Wayland so NixOS is not ready for Wayland?

NixOS supports Wayland for quite some time. Plasma 6 was simply not chosen as the default Plasma version for NixOS 24.05. Plasma 6 should run fine, but you need to actively select it: Enable Plasma 6
You do not need the unstable channel. The linked threat was created before 24.05 branched of from unstable.

4 Likes

Also, xserver in the module name does not mean it actually does anything xserver related. A bunch of those options have outdated names, but will apply to both X and wayland sessions.

Most wayland sessions will also still run xwayland, which still needs a fair bit if X config, so even if the options were named more clearly you’d likely still have some xserver options set when running a wayland session.

1 Like

I made the switch and it’s working fine. :grinning: