Using an external SSD for my nix store

Hi there,

I am using nix to develop Holochain applications following this guide

Developing with Holochain uses a lot of space so I want to point my nix environment from my computer to an external SSD. When trying to do so I got quite tangled.

IF someone could assist me with the process broadly, I can return with any error results.

Thanks in advance

how is your ssd set up and how are you want to use it for /nix directory
like is ssd only for nix or do you want to use directory inside ssd for nix
or is nix going to be in separate partition ?

Thanks @Alper-Celik , your questions are assistive.

What I really need is a nix store on an external drive. It is only superficially important (to me) as to whether the external ssd is fully dedicated to running as a nix store or if it is just a directory within it. Currently, I have other uses for my SSD but if it is easier I can get another dedicated to nix.

I was trying to follow this thread. Am I correct in thinking it pertains to having a dedicated extenral SSD for the nix store ?

Yes (though you should be able to just use a second volume on said device if you just want to use part of it).

To clarify, though: are you using macOS? Everything in that thread is very macOS-specific, so it wouldn’t be of much help achieving this on another OS.

Thanks @abathur, I am using macOS. Also, nix is installing via this guide which handles the nix installation. As a result, I am working with the nix setup from the setup.sh file and then pointing that to my external ssd

You can probably follow my notes in the other thread using the special for a volume you pre-create on said device.

That said, I have no knowledge of holochain’s script; I can’t say for sure whether it’ll interfere or not.

Thanks for your help @abathur - I ended up dedicating an ssd to as my nix store. The steps in the other thread work well

1 Like