Since nixpkgs is constantly moving, i think a vision describes it best.
I want to propose a vision that is specific enough, so we can work towards a common goal, but broad enough, so everyone approves it.
I want to add this text to the README and the documentation.
The vision we work towards
- extensive collection of relevant free software packages
- that are built from source code (and available from our binary cache)
- are up to date (assisted by automation)
- and work as expected (ensured by automatic tests)
- deliver upstream’s original intent (WIP: wording will get improved)
- with support for linux and macOS (and potentially other platforms like BSD and Windows)
- unfree software packages are allowed for those who need them
I also propose this as short and precise description:
nixpkgs - extensive collection of free software packages for linux and macOS
This follows the theme that we don’t want to promote unfree software, but also don’t hide it from people who search for it.
What do you think? Any suggestion to improve it?