In a similar vein to https://discourse.nixos.org/t/what-are-your-goals-for-20-09, what are people’s goals for the upcoming release?
I can start:
- Get basinix into a usable state before ZHF
- Release 21.05 in May
- Finish hook’ifying of
buildRustPackage. This is mostly done, with one more PR in the queue. I want to clean up the hooks a bit more and improve the documentation.
- It is currently not possible to use AMD’s ROCm OpenCL implementation and OpenGL in the same application due to Mesa and ROCm using different LLVM versions. Since I have access to an AMD GPU machine again, I want to fix this before 21.05.
- Move PyTorch to CUDA 11 by default to support Ampere GPUs. Probably requires another upstream release, there were some large regressions with convolution layers in PyTorch 1.7.1 + CUDA 11.
- May not make it in time for 21.05, but I want to try working towards avoiding build failures of (primarily ML) packages that get send to Hydra nodes that do not have the requisite SIMD instructions. I have made a PR (Nix#4551) to expose the micro-architecture levels that were recently added to the ELF x86-64 psABI. If we could get something like that in Nix, we could use
x86-64-vas additional platforms in derivations.
I know you’re probably in the rapid development stage right now but when things are more stable I’d be happy to submit some PRs to basnix
I’ve been procrastinating a bit just due to burnout, but eventually I would love for someone who is knowledgeable in rust to give some of the code a through look-over.
- dbus-broker support (possibly be the default) nixos/dbus: support dbus-broker by worldofpeace · Pull Request #112879 · NixOS/nixpkgs · GitHub
- use bgrt plymouth theme, and do as much as possible to make boot flicker free nixos/plymouth: use bgrt theme by worldofpeace · Pull Request #114000 · NixOS/nixpkgs · GitHub
- wayland session in plasma
- GNOME 40
- serious polishing of all things GNOME as usual
- maybe systemd-oomd Use systemd Out-Of-Memory Killer · Issue #113903 · NixOS/nixpkgs · GitHub
- maybe new Pantheon if their elementary OS 6 release happens before our cutoff
And probably a whole bunch of other unexpected great shiny stuff.