Where is `runtimeShell` derived from?

See here.

Can someone explain how runtimeShell gets its value? I followed it back to here and here, but it looks to be some fixed-point stuff that I’m still not very comfortable understanding.

Any clarification is appreciated! :slight_smile:

$ rg 'runtimeShell ='
pkgs/top-level/all-packages.nix
12865:  runtimeShell = "${runtimeShellPackage}${runtimeShellPackage.shellPath}";
$ rg 'runtimeShellPackage ='
pkgs/top-level/all-packages.nix
12866:  runtimeShellPackage = bash

That was anti-climatic :sweat_smile: Thanks!

I have never seen this phrase, and a dictionary said it was a synonym to “disappointing”.

What is disappointing here?

Haha, the context is that I was expecting the answer to be a lot more complicated than it turned out to be, thus “anti-climatic.” Nothing wrong with the answer, I appreciate the help :slight_smile:

1 Like

“disappointing” isn’t the best translation…

A story or movie tends to have a series of twists and turns that create a feeling of building tension–and the climax of the narrative often puts the exclamation mark on them.

Something that is anti-climactic isn’t necessarily disappointing in an absolute sense, but it is less exciting or interesting than the build-up led you to expect.

Sort of like going to a fancy restaurant and getting food that, while definitely better than the leftovers you have in the fridge at home, didn’t taste much better than the cheap cafe up the street.

1 Like

Personally, I would not consider “anti-climactic” to carry a sentiment independent of context, as I understand the word to mean “relating to the opposite of climax” – but it appears that some dictionaries do, see ANTICLIMACTIC | English meaning - Cambridge Dictionary and anticlimactic - Wiktionary, the free dictionary.

1 Like