Why need LD_LIBRARY_PATH for insync in nixpkgs

I can’t get insync to run unless I set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to a location in /nix/store. How can I fix this? ( Is this because I’m using nix on Ubuntu instead of from nixos? )

DETAILS

I installed insync ( insync-1.5.7.37371 ). When run, it complains about missing algorithms:
$ insync start

ERROR:root:code for hash sha256 was not found.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “hashlib.py”, line 139, in
File “hashlib.py”, line 91, in __get_builtin_constructor

It looked like it was not finding a library. I ended up trying to adapt the methods described in a stack exchange: Different methods to run a non-nixos executable on Nixos.

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/nix/store/9nx4cqcsg24c7h53ssrsgni7s876r6rz-insync-1.5.7.37371/client insync start

Then it ‘works’. I just guessed at using the */client dir since it contained lots of .so’s.
Is this something to do with my using nix on Ubuntu instead of NixOS?
Thanks

1 Like

I’ve tested this, and I get the same issue on nixos, and using the LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/nix/store/rlvhxcqirgl38iqwzsz0mi2w35hb3g2z-insync-1.5.7.37371/client/ fix remove warning.

This is an issue with the packaging. I will try to fix this (should be something easy to do).

fixed here: insync: fix warning due to missing LD_LIBRARY_PATH by marius851000 · Pull Request #92463 · NixOS/nixpkgs · GitHub
now we just need to wait for it to be merged in master, and for unstable to be syncronized in master (if you use unstable). Otherwise, you may ask a backport to a stable version, or install it by downloading https://github.com/marius851000/nixpkgs/archive/insync.zip , extract it, go the nixpkgs folder, and run nix-build . -A insync and then nix-env -i ./result (or any other method you use to install software with nix)