Call for Organizers - NixOS Devroom at FOSDEM 2024

Hello NixOS Community!

We hope this message finds you well. It’s that time of the year again when we start preparing for FOSDEM, one of the largest open source conferences in Europe. We’re excited to announce that we will try to host a NixOS Devroom at FOSDEM 2024, and we’re looking for enthusiastic organizers to help make it a great success!

FOSDEM will take place on February 3rd and 4th, 2024, in Brussels, Belgium. It’s a fantastic event where open source enthusiasts, developers, and communities from all around the world come together to share knowledge, collaborate, and celebrate open source projects. The NixOS Devroom is a unique opportunity for us to showcase the power and versatility of NixOS and Nix inside an extremely rich conference with many other devrooms: kernel, containers, userspace API devroom (image based), Guix and friends, and many more!

What is a Devroom? A Devroom is a space dedicated to a specific open source project or community at FOSDEM. It allows us to organize talks, discussions, and workshops focused on NixOS and related topics.

Call for Organizers: We are looking for individuals who are passionate about NixOS and want to help us organize the NixOS Devroom at FOSDEM. Past organizers were myself @thufschmitt @bjth @JulienMalka and @matthewcroughan. This year, we would like to open up the team and have more diverse folks join us to help us. As an organizer, you will have the opportunity to shape the content and schedule of the Devroom, collaborate with speakers, and ensure everything runs smoothly during the event.

Here are some of the roles and responsibilities of Devroom organizers:

• Review and select proposals for talks and presentations.
  • Coordinate with speakers to ensure they have everything they need for their sessions.
  • Manage the schedule and logistics of the Devroom during FOSDEM.
  • Promote the Devroom within the NixOS community and beyond.
  • Take a shift at managing the Devroom

If you’re interested in becoming an organizer or have any questions, please reply to this thread or send a message to me on Matrix or Discourse.

We welcome both newcomers and experienced NixOS users to join the organizing team. Your enthusiasm and dedication to NixOS are what matter most!

We look forward to your participation and contributions to this exciting opportunity. Stay tuned for more updates, and let’s make FOSDEM 2024 a fantastic experience for all NixOS enthusiasts!

12 Likes

Please put brakes between talks and leave some room for questions unlike last year where everything was back to back.

3 Likes

I am interested to help organize, but can’t commit just yet.

3 Likes

Do applicants have to be able to be there in person? Or in other words, can you specify which tasks can be done remotely, and which require presence in Brussels?

1 Like

Very few things can be done remotely, mostly CfP and outreach comms.
Most of the Devroom management is on-site in the devroom.

Having a large enough team of devroom managers is helpful to let everyone including the devroom managers enjoy the conference instead of staying all the day in a devroom :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yes! FOSDEM kept us on a tight schedule last year (partly due to my inability to read time correctly :sweat_smile:), but that’s something we did take note of last year.

1 Like

I would be delighted to join the team of organizers this year. I’m not sure if this would be of any help, but I live just 5 minutes on foot from ULB. Therefore, I can be available both before and after the conference, early and late. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Probably too late but I can lend a hand if needed too

Hey, it may be a bit too late but I’ll be glad to give a wee hand for the event. Far from an nix expert, more of an enthusiast, but I gather some task don’t require a strong expertise in handling derivations and overrides…

2 Likes

Since I know now that I will be going to FOSDEM for sure, I would also like to help out with organizing the dev room.

One area where we can still use volunteers is the stand. See Stand up for Nix and NixOS at FOSDEM 2024

Ideally, we’d have two or three people present at each moment, so there is less pressure and folks are free to take biology breaks.

CC @plmercereau @mschwaig

2 Likes

Sure, I’ll put my name on the list very soon, one last thing to check before picking a slot or two

2 Likes