@fricklerhandwerk raised the issue with me that we probably have too many categories on the NixOS Discourse. For example, we have a Development>Documentation and a Governance>Documentation Team, each with very few posts. It seems like it would make more sense to combine these two and then people interested in improving documentation only would have one category to follow.
The Governance category was originally made by me without much discussion, and it seems like they are not being used much. I suspect this is because most governance-related discussion happens on GitHub and Matrix.
The Special Interest Groups categories have also seen very little activity and I think should be moved into another top-level category.
Given all this, I propose the following changes be made:
- Merge Governance>Documentation Team → Development>Documentation
- Merge Governance>Security Team → Development>Security
- Move from “Governance” to “Development” and rename
- Moderation Team → Moderation
- Marketing Team → Marketing
- NixOS Release Team → NixOS Releases
- RFC Steering Committee → RFCs
- Infrastructure Team → Infrastructure
- Merge Special Interests Groups (SIG)>SIG Worflow Automation → Development
- Move and rename Special Interests Groups (SIG)>SIG Deployments → Development>Deployments
- Remove Special Interests Groups (SIG) Category
- Remove the Governance category
Please let me know what you think of these changes. I’m not particularly set on doing it the way I’ve proposed, I wanted to have something to start the discussion.
I’ll hold off on making any of these changes until 2022-07-14T07:00:00Z to give people time to comment.