We’re excited to announce the flox+Nix community updates series! We hope to keep the community updated on our efforts to make Nix great, and shine some light on our internal Nix rock stars!
Without further ado, let’s jump into the updates.
April saw most movement in the documentation area. Ron helped kick-start the documentation fundraiser, and flox put its money where its mouth is by donating the initial €5,000.00. As of writing, the fundraiser raised more than €17,000.00!
However, @zmitchell did not wait until the fundraiser craziness was over to improve Nix’s documentation. They continued their work on the learning journey working group.
- flox donated €5,000.00 to the documentation fundraiser, kick-starting the effort
- @zmitchell ran meetings for the Learning Journey Working Group
- @zmitchell published This Month in Nix Docs - #2 - April 2023
- @zmitchell tweaked the layout of nix.dev (PR)
All merged and reviewed pull requests for April
- Add script for generating This Month in Nix Docs by zmitchell · Pull Request #511 · NixOS/nix.dev · GitHub by @zmitchell
- Fix typos in ad-hoc-developer-environments.md by zmitchell · Pull Request #512 · NixOS/nix.dev · GitHub by @zmitchell
- Add recipes, reference, and contributing sections by zmitchell · Pull Request #520 · NixOS/nix.dev · GitHub by @zmitchell
- refactor!: implement a stricter version of installable by ysndr · Pull Request #22 · flox/runix · GitHub by @ysndr
- chore: flakebump by mkenigs · Pull Request #24 · flox/runix · GitHub by @mkenigs
- Update marketing team members by garbas · Pull Request #1039 · NixOS/nixos-homepage · GitHub by @garbas
- feat: add conversions from/to iterator for `Registry` by ysndr · Pull Request #21 · flox/runix · GitHub by @ysndr
- feat: add impl for `nix flake metadata` by ysndr · Pull Request #19 · flox/runix · GitHub by @ysndr
- https://github.com/flox/runix/pull/15 by @ysndr
- https://github.com/flox/runix/pull/23 by @ysndr
The development side of things was a bit quieter than the documentation effort. @tomberek did work on quality of life improvements for the Nix ecosystem, and @ysndr continued their work on runix.
- @tomberek worked with Robert to improve distribution of proprietary code nixos/nix#8090
- @tomberek worked to bring Nix-shebangs to the new CLI nixos/nix#5189
- @tomberek attended meetings - RFC 101 - Nix formatter, and RFC 136 - stabilization
We at flox hope to continue the effort we put into the Nix ecosystem. Providing visibility into these efforts—with this new series of posts—is one way we engage with the community. I, personally, hope you found this post insightful, and I’ll be waiting for you at the next post. Until then.