General Nix Office Hours

Do you plan to continue Nix Office Hours (or variants) in 2022?

2 Likes

Yes. I’ve been thinking about the format though. In mid-2021 I did a few months of scheduled hours 1-on-1 via my Calendly rather than waiting around. It seemed to be more productive. The General hours sometimes ended up being Nix regulars just hanging out or completely empty. My vision was that we’d have a few mentors ready to answer questions and would spawn 1-on-1’s as people showed up; that didn’t really happen. On the other hand, having a few experts available helped due to the breadth of specialties.

I’d welcome any thoughts or feedback on how to improve the effort.

4 Likes

I am not sure how to improve things, but I know that I met 1-1 with you once (and it was immensely helpful), and I’ve hung out in some of the groupier chats and while not as directly helpful to me personally, it was nice to meet up with others, discuss general difficulties, and trade experiences.

I think both have their merits, and I believe meeting 1-1 probably has more leverage.

1 Like

Great!

I can imagine how 1-on-1 might be more productive. Maybe Calendly has the option of a group account for regulars so that mentees could be distributed to a calendar shared amongst mentors? As roni points out, while hanging around also has its benefits, a sustainable effort should put mentor time and leverage first. For the groupier chats, the existing Discord channels should be the place to go, right?

Maybe it would work better if it were integrated into Matrix, such that it was somehow tied to a room. Something like Discord’s voice channels might fit best, but the UX story isn’t really here for Matrix, not to mention it still relies on Jitsi.

Maybe https://spatial.chat/ is the answer to all our problems, or the start of some new ones :wink:

I would like to participate as a mentor.

1 Like

Nix Office Hours are open: SpatialChat (i’m trying a new format that makes sharing screens easier)

1 Like

I’ll do office hours for the rest of evening here: SpatialChat
Drop by if you have any questions, or just want to work on something Nix related.

I wanna thank @tomberek for the time and answers / supplied last night!

Summary of things we went over:

PS: For future reference, the first one (nix develop) was a bug independently confirmed by @tomberek on their system, so this might be worth looking into for the developers of GitHub - NixOS/nix: Nix, the purely functional package manager.

1 Like

did you raise an issue for it within that repo.

@nixinator Would you mind specifying which of the four repoes I referenced you’re referring to? =)

In my understanding, your question could reference any one of the below:

1. GitHub - NixOS/nix: Nix, the purely functional package manager
  2. GitHub - tadfisher/pass-otp: A pass extension for managing one-time-password (OTP) tokens
  3. GitHub - baierjan/Pass-OTP-perl: Perl implementation of HOTP / TOTP algorithms for alternative to oathtool(1)
  4. GitHub - DaGenix/rust-crypto: A (mostly) pure-Rust implementation of various cryptographic algorithms.

[quote=“x10an14, post:30, topic:15019”]

• nix develop shell breaking bash completion when used inside of project with flake.nix
  1. github.com/nixos/nix

A test case to reproduce would be a great! Thanks !

I don’t know how to write such a test, but I’d be happy to assist! Feel free to reach me directly though matrix if you’re willing to help me write it =)

(Same nickname there as here - on the nixos.org server).

Sorry for the techno speak, when i mean test case, is basically just the steps to reproduce.

Done! Bash completion broken after running `nix develop` · Issue #6091 · NixOS/nix · GitHub

Breaking in what sense? Please remember that nix develop throws you in a non-interactive shell, it uses ${bash}/bin/bash, which does not load completions and also doesn’t do a lot of stuff in general that humans like to have. This bash is basically a bash that is meant run scripts, not to be used by humans. If you want to enter a dev-env that retains your shell and the comfort, then use direnv with the nix-direnv extension.

Alternatively you can do something like this:

$ nix shell nixpkgs#bashInteractive -c bash
$ eval "$(nix print-dev-env)"
1 Like

I would suggest continuing this thread in the github issue if you don’t mind, so that we can let it get back on-topic here =)
There, I’ve updated the thread with information which answers your suggestions^^

1 Like

Are you all still doing office hours at said times?

I think this could be quite helpful for me, but going by the chat timestamps in the spatial.chat room, there appears to be very little overlap with the Asia Pacific region so far.

1 Like