GeNix7000: Nix Project Logo Generator

Fire all of your designers, Tweag, Serokell, Flox (and all other Nix-y companies)! #joke
This is the ultimate, parametric and reproducible solution to all your branding problems!

It kinda went out of control, and I’ve made an openscad customizer, which supports a really wide range of Nix-y logos. Including original one.

I hope that posting this at discourse will be apotheosis of this joke, and I stop wasting my time on it D:

34 Likes

Quoting from your commit log:

wtf cab

:wink:

3 Likes

Uhm, hi this is really, really neat, even though I have no idea what I’d do with it. Thanks for making/sharing.

I’m quite tickled, actually. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You would probably think of me as a madman, but official Nix logo is atrocious. I will probably redo it to be more precise soon.

(LIke seriously, top and bottom corners are not even vertical! You can’t unsee that!)

7 Likes

This is it. The perfection. @edolstra pls admire

10 Likes

3 Likes

So, I’ve boiled down the Nix logo down to 4 hardcoded variables. You can change those to get different (sometimes strange) results)

These versions of original logo with nice constraints. I’ve also made a script to export them automatically :smiley:

2 Likes

And here’s a load/unload animation, cause it looks like everyone likes animations:

17 Likes

I wonder if that could somehow be turned into a flake that offers a Plymouth config with boot animations.

15 Likes

This is the honest logo, a bunch of razor blades sticking out :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Precise Nix logo rework (aka genix7000) by cab404 · Pull Request #84 · NixOS/nixos-artwork · GitHub aaand the logical conclusion?

1 Like

Now look at this!! :slightly_smiling_face:
Hacked together yesterday evening/this morning and it barely works. :sweat_smile:

I just threw the video from @cab at ezgif mp4 to png converter which is really unclean, but at least I got some images…

PRs welcome :grin:

Edit: I have no clue about flakes so if somebody wants to actually add a flake… :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

That’s awesome! Love it. :heart:

I can send you original PNGs exported from openscad)

1 Like

Nice work, thanks

Flake PR submitted :wink:

nix run github:cab404/genix7000

When merged

edit: responded to wrong comment :rofl:
edit2: added flake pr to @Melkor333 project too

3 Likes

Now we can run GeNix7000 without UI

nix run github:cab404/genix7000#to-image -- bla.png --camera '0,0,480,0,0,0' --num 6 grey cyan "\#cd3535"
nix run github:cab404/genix7000#to-image -- --help

edit: fixed colors thanks to @igel

3 Likes
// === Nix logo specification
// number of lambdas. doesn't really work if changed in this model.
num = 6;

// Central aperture diameter, in units. It does produce nice effects if animated.
aperture = 2 + -2 * $t;

// lambda height in units. fun to play with
length = 4 + -4 * $t;

// Clipping polygon diameter, in units
clipr = 8 + -8 * $t;

or something along those lines was used for this — someone on Discord asked me, and I’ve realized I haven’t got this documented

nix run github:cab404/genix7000#to-image – x.png --camera ‘0,0,480,0,0,0’ --colors ‘[“grey”, “cyan”]’ --num 3

Error: nu::parser::unknown_flag

× The `main` command doesn't have flag `colors`.
   ╭─[<commandline>:1:1]
 1 │ main x.png --camera 0,0,480,0,0,0 --colors `["grey", "cyan"]` --num 3
   ·                                   ────┬───
   ·                                       ╰── unknown flag
   ╰────
  help: Some available flags: --num, --thick, --imgsize, --offset, --gaps, --rotation, --angle, --camera, --clipr, --cliprot, --clipinv, --help(-h)... Use `--help` for a full list
        of flags and more information.

Sorry, isn’t --colors but ...colors

nix run github:cab404/genix7000#to-image -- bla.png --camera '0,0,480,0,0,0' --num 6 grey cyan "\#cd3535"