How's the NixOs experience on a Mac hardware?

I’ll soon get a new laptop by my work, but they only propose Dell, HP or Mac. I had lot’s of bad experience with Dell that is basically unable to make a proper unbuggy touchpad (2 laptops broken!), in my experience HP (used to?) have a really bad linux hardware support… Which leaves me with Mac. But I still want to use NixOs of course!

Since Mac has a different hardware, and even architecture (cf the M3…), I was wondering how smooth is the experience on Mac from NixOs. Is it well supported, notably:

• is it easy to install, use etc (why not installing it with a dual boot)? Have you tried the M2/M3/…?
  • how is the cache working? I can see on Apple M3 — Wikipédia that the architecture of the M3 is ARMv8, which should be supported and cached by NixOs, no? Is rosetta and alike only needed to port x86_64 to this platform? If so can I use binfmt to obtain an equivalent on linux?
  • how is the hardware supported? Of course I need wifi/…, but I also care about the GPU since I use regularly 3D rendering (blender), video encoding, and I’d like to get into IA if possible (seems like they mention a special IA hardware, no idea if it’s supported by linux?)
  • can we get proper ZFS support? I really like it and I’m scared to find a kernel not supporting it.
    Thanks!
1 Like

For the install, see the two links at NixOS on Apple silicon without USB drive. For supported machines, see Fedora Asahi Remix - Asahi Linux (M3: not yet).

I am a NixOS noob who has been using it on an M2 Mac Mini for about a month now, and it works fine - but I’m not making demanding use of it, so I won’t comment on your other questions.

2 Likes