In RFC #39 we agreed to create a Nixpkgs Maintainers Team on GitHub, and I’m about to start inviting people to join.
Over the next few weeks, I’ll be inviting all the package maintainers to join this team. If you’re a maintainer, read on!
What This Means To You
Most importantly: OfBorg will request your review of PRs against your packages.
You’ll be invited to the Nixpkgs Maintainers team, and you will be officially a Member of the NixOS Organization on GitHub.
Note: Please do not
@ the team on pull requests or issues.
Why Make the Team?
The goal of this team is to involve package maintainers in reviewing pull requests against their packages.
Maintainers have explicitly taken a responsibility for their package, and want to know about updates to their package’s expression. However, Nixpkgs receives over 1,000 pull requests each month and subscribing to them all is not a reasonable requirement to maintain a package. This team will help us involve maintainers in their packages’ pull requests.
The ideal outcome is that package maintainership means a more active role in reviewing and approving changes to Nixpkgs.
When You’ll Be Invited
We will be adding people to the team in stages. From the RFC:
- Select a small group of maintainers who are not committers to be part of the first round, and manually run the tooling
- Pause half a week to see what changes
- Expand the group to one quarter of the maintainers
- Pause a half a week to gauge response
- Expand the group to one half of the maintainers
- Wait one week
- Expand the group to all of the maintainers
Requirements to Join
- Your account will need to have 2FA enabled.
- You must already maintain some packages.