Nix Friday - streaming about Nix every Friday

I would be interested to hear about Python packaging. The Nixpkgs manual section is long and confusing, and leaves one to wonder if it is up to date.

3 Likes

@ilikeavocadoes do you want to come to the course to talk about it? I have a slot open on the 20th and 27th of December.

Today I don’t have any students so feel free to drop by and ask me anything. I will be hacking on building a nix-based devcontainer for VSCode. It’s a feature of VSCode where the development environment is started in a Docker container. This should allow macOS and Windows users to use Nix much more easily. As long as they are happy to use VSCode and Docker :slight_smile:

1 Like

During the last episode I said that I will be posting the repo, so here it is: GitHub - zimbatm/vscode-devcontainer-nix: WIP: VSCode remote container for Nix-based environments. Right now it’s just a README and I hope to add some code to it in later episodes. This will be our background project if nobody is scheduled to come on the show.

What happened during the last episode is that I got nerd-sniped. Instead of just installing Nix into the Ubuntu docker image, I started building the image with Nix. We got to see how to use dockerTools.buildLayeredImage. After the stream I realized that this wasn’t what we wanted because it creates a fully static images with no /nix/store database. Meaning the image is not mutable for further adjustments later. Skipping a few steps I am now 3 levels deep into re-implementing user profiles purely in Nix :sweat_smile: Anyways, I am making progress and hopeful to be back out of the hole the next time where this project will be picked up again.

For next week we will be looking at something a bit different: Agda is a programming language that doesn’t have native support in nixpkgs. The compiler is already packaged but we don’t have the supporting code to add new Agda-based programs. So we will be looking at how to generally add new language packages to Nix and see if we can create a roadmap for that support.

See you next week!

4 Likes

I’m afraid I don’t have time to attend live.

Oops, I announced on https://twitter.com/zimbatm and forgot to announce it here. Today we talked about Nix C++ hacking with @cdepillabout and had a lot of fun doing so :slight_smile: At the end of the stream we had a half-working fix for --arg doesn't work for functions with ... · Issue #1360 · NixOS/nix · GitHub
You can watch the recording over here: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/523967388 while it’s available and it will be published to YouTube later.

Next week, I’ll be showing a bit how to install and use @rycee’s home-manager.

PS: Oops(2), my OBS setup was streaming audio before the stream started :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’d be happy to join in some Friday and talk about Poetry2nix if there is some interest.

1 Like

Nix Friday! Tomorrow we have a special guest. This will be and interview of @adisbladis
and poetry2nix for which he just released v1.0.0. Hope to see you tomorrow on the stream! https://zimbatm.com/NixFriday/

2 Likes

Sorry Nix Friday is cancelled today. I have to take the afternoon off for some family reasons.

Sorry for the short notice and hopefully we can re-schedule the interview next week!

1 Like

Hi @zimbatm!

I hope those family reasons are happy ones and not of the bad kind!

Though I also have a question, the calendar you have on the page, is it importable into my calendar and what is the URL?

Thanks!

For the calendar, it probably only works if you use Google Calendar. Look at the bottom-right, you should see this button:

If you know of a better solution let me know, I just quickly hacked this together :slight_smile:

1 Like

I found the iCal address

2 Likes

Tomorrow we will have @adisbladis on the stream to talk about poetry2nix. I am really excited about it and what it means for the python and nix packaging ecosystem.

See you tomorrow!

7 Likes

Hi @zimbatm!

I do not want to stress you, but how long does it usually need until the records are available via YouTube?

The recordings are available straight away on Twitch. Twitch deletes the old episodes after a while.

The latest episode is now on YouTube as well. It’s a two-part video because OBS crashed on us in the middle :slight_smile:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuVXx3vBwgelE9hbg5lH4w-JFU7llOqtI

Next week, Nejc Zupan will be on the show and we will be talking about creating dynamic developer environments by using direnv and nix!

5 Likes

YouTube is more convinient for me, as I have a script that fetches the videos from there, synchs them with my mobile and then I have something to watch during commute :smiley:

Thank you for creating these!

Today’s episode was about how to use direnv with Nix.

3 Likes

Any reason or public announcement about cancelling last weeks and todays episodes?

I assume that todays got cancelled because there simply wasn’t a topic set (when I looked yesterday it still said “Slot open” or something like that in the calendar). Though last week, there was a guest announced according to the calendar as far as I remember…

Sorry my bad. I got overloaded with work and had to cancel. Sorry for not keeping you all posted!

I hope to resume the stream in a month or so when things have quieted back down.

<3 zimbatm

7 Likes

Take your time!

Looking forward for more episodes, but real-life comes first!

2 Likes

Just wanted to say, I enjoed Nix Friday very much and kinda miss it.

1 Like