NixCon 2020 status update

I think we should split the different threads happening here.

My attempt:

• NixCon 2019 surplus

• vpsAdminOS virtual servers offer
  • Which video streaming software to use

• General rules of engagement for future NixCons (e.g. where should the surplus go)

• Opinions on NixCon 2019

4 Likes

Regarding the NixCon surplus, there has been some miscommunication happening internally in the NixCon orga team. Sorry about the confusion that this caused. We had a meeting today and the matter has been resolved :slight_smile:

Going forward we will be opening a new foundation to act as a fiscal host, something we wanted to do anyways. All the money will be restored to the NixCon project.

7 Likes

For what its worth, it definitely sounds to me like your heart is in the right place. I’m not in a position to have any opinion about the money though, since I didn’t attend the conference and none of it comes from me.

I think the general problem is that there is not really any single person that could have decided this. Its a big, decentrally “governed” community, people are almost guaranteed to have different opinions. Coming to a consensus takes a long time, and is even harder (maybe impossible) post-hoc.

So don’t take the communities reaction or lack thereof personally. Its just not something we were really equipped to deal with.

5 Likes

I created a new thread to discuss how NixCon 2020 Online edition should look like because it’s not quite clear to me yet and I need your help for that.

3 Likes

I feel like all of you are ignoring the clearly obvious choice here, which is to have NixCon 2020 in Animal Crossing.

11 Likes

I’d like to join, is it available in nixpkgs?

1 Like

I’ve seen some events organized in Mozilla Hubs, but it’s still not mature enough to recommend it for an event like NixCon yet :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looks like Animal Crossing conferences is a real thing: https://desertedislanddevops.com/

1 Like

See, now we could have a case study. It looked successful.

Yes, i have seen that mentioned too.

They run 568 BBB-Servers behind Scalelite for schools in one federal state of germany.

Just FYI.

2 Likes

I wonder if there’s still a cache of a “physical” conference. I don’t know the situation in Germany but I guess the restrictions that were in place in April may have been relaxed by now. My country (Italy) apparently now allows conferences and meetings with only bland distancing measures.
The real problem are still the travel restrictions.

I have been a big fan of NixOS for many years and also recently joined meet.coop https://forum.meet.coop/ , an online video conference (BBB) cooperative in preparation.

When I tried to install BBB on my home server, I naturally came to NixOS, looking for the package. But I think the package is still in WIP status.

This thread is has a lot of useful information - thank you so much!!

Hi,

It is June 23, 2020 so maybe things have changed. Their load balancer seems to be open source:

Or is there a proprietary version in addition to this?