This month in Nix documentation - #8 - July/August 2024

All issues of “This month in Nix documentation”

News

The past two months has seen some notable efforts that kept the world of Nix documentation spinning:

@willbush triaged the entire issue backlog on nix.dev and helped close many outdated entries. Thank you very much! This was enormously helpful to keep track of what’s going on, and also prompted me to go through these things again and get an overview.

@rhendric started a great endeavor of expanding the Nix language reference, and added decicated pages on

This is a big improvement in clarity and discoverability of information about the Nix langauge, and what many have been waiting for for a long time. Thank you very much for your patience with my reviews, @rhendric. This is awesome new material!

@tfc of Nixcademy wrote three new tutorials for nix.dev, following the call for a technical writer to support the effort on reducing load on the public binary cache:

This was made possible thanks to many people’s support on Open Collective. The successful crowdfunding campaign in 2023 already helped laying the groundwork to design a curriculum – called the Nix Learning Journey – where these new tutorials now nicely fit into.

I really like the result: Finally, what should be a matter of course when using Nix is accessible to beginners who want to scale their setup. I wish I had that back when I started out.

Tell us what you think!

Get in touch

Check the Nix documentation team page for information on how to get in touch.

How you can help

If you like what we’re doing, consider joining the documentation team or donating to the NixOS Foundation’s documentation project on Open Collective to fund ongoing maintenance and development of learning materials and other documentation.

Recent changes

This is a list of all recent changes made to documentation in the Nix ecosystem.

NixOS/nix

NixOS/nixpkgs

NixOS/nix.dev

Accepted RFCs

• #146 [RFC 0146] Meta.Categories, not Filesystem Directory Trees (@AndersonTorres)

While not strictly related to documentation, the migration of package categories metadata to Nix expressions will greatly ease building infrastructure to improve discoverability, a primary concern of the documentation effort.

11 Likes