Tweag + Nix dev update #26

Hey everyone, some news from the Tweag Nix team:

Nix releases

@edolstra published Nix 2.7. The announcement post already describes, so I won’t detail it here, but makes sure to watch the video that @garbas and @tomberek (from Flox) recorded:

Nix improvements

• @thufschmitt worked on making Nix helpfully display some suggestions when the user writes something that looks like a typo, be it on the command-line or in a Nix expression (#6205, #6216):
  • @edolstra started some work on impure derivations.
  • @layus has been working hard to improve the error locations by keeping more context in the evaluator (#6204)

Content-addressed derivations

Misc

• @infinisil joined the shepherd team of RFC 101
  • @infinisil started contributing to npmlock2nix, trying to make it easier to patch some dependencies (#151)
  • @connorbaker worked towards upgrading the spark version available in nixpkgs (#160075)
  • @edolstra noticed that the nix profile command didn’t have any test, which he fixed in #6194, leading him to notice that it was broken with content-addressed derivation, which he fixed in #6197.

Nickel

The first version of Nickel has been released (0.1.0)! Recent work has been directed toward making this release happen.

And that’s all, folks. The rest is already history

12 Likes

Woohoo! I think there are two likely improvements for this case:

Both give me huge performance improvement when GC store full of CA derivations.

1 Like