Tweag+Nix dev update #43

Note from the author: last update was 6 weeks ago, this is unusual. The reason is that I’ve been very sick, not able to work for a while and dispatch my work to my colleagues, including this task. I’m back on tracks :railway_track: :slightly_smiling_face: .

Previously in Tweag :eyes:
Next in Tweag

We will have a few people from the team talking at FOSDEM 2023 :rocket: (Nix and Nickel)

Making Nix solve people’s problems :wrench::toolbox:

• As part of their work in the Nix maintainers team, @thufschmitt and @fricklerhandwerk reviewed and merged more than a hundred of PRs and issues (here and here).
  • This big pull-request by @layus finally made it to master (after a short revert-unrevert roundtrip). Hopefully this will notably increase the quality of the Nix error messages.
  • After months of discussion, @infinisil and the Nixpkgs Architecture Team opened the first RFC to improve the nixpkgs architecture. For many cases, this RFC makes adding a new package as simple as creating a directory named like the attribute, without having to find an appropriate place in the pkgs categories and all-packages.nix.

Documentation :books:

jupyterWith jupyenv updates

• We celebrate the new name of the project: jupyenv! :tada:
  • The new site can be found at https://jupyenv.io/
  • This big pull-request by @garbas and @djacu has finally been merged to main and brings significant improvments to the project.
    • jupyenv now use NixOS modules to enable and configure kernels. You can find all configurable options here.
    • This update is released as version 0.1.0. We will be making new releases as the project grows to help users specify a particular version and not have to rely on commit hashes.
    • We have added a blog to the documentation site to communicate when there are new releases, API changes, and bug fixes.
    • There is a new Matrix space for users to interact with each other and ask questions.
    • You can find a more detailed write up of the latest updates on the Tweag blog.

Making Nix work reliably everywhere :penguin::apple::window:

• @solene work at improvement message when using an untrusted substituter evolved into documentation writing in nix.conf man page, to clarify information about trusted users and trusted substituters. Nix PR #7641
  • @Radvendii had submitted a pull-request fixing nix why-depends for content-addressed derivations (#7337). Unfortunately, the fix broke nix why-depends --derivation, so @thufschmitt fixed this and added some tests in #7539.
  • @yorickvp submitted a pull-request (#7721) that fixes a problem where unwanted outputs weren’t being passed to the post-build-hook.

Making Nix ubiquitous :rocket:

Blog posts and media :newspaper:

Nickel

Announcement: we will be presenting no less than 3 talks in total on Nickel and related projects at FOSDEM + CfgMgmtCamp: Nickel-Nix, Terraform-Nickel and a general talk on the approach of Nickel to configuration. If you plan to be there, don’t hestitate to come and to say hi :slight_smile:

• @ebresafegaga added a lot of shiny features to the LSP! After the completion for the standard library with documentations and types, he tackled:
    • making it work through multiple files/imported files (goto definition/reference, gathering type/contract information, etc.) (#993).
    • context completion: when you’re filling a record (attribute set in Nix), and this record has a contract attached, the LSP provides completion. In practical terms, it means while writing something like flake, a derivation, a module, or any configuration, you get the list of possible options, their documentation and their type, which is neat (#1057).
    • plus other bugfixing and small improvements.

scaled

• @vkleen continued to work on Terraform-nickel, with a better handling of Terraform’s computed fields, and started to modularize it à la NixOS modules.

• @yannham implemented RFC005, which fixes a number of issues with the previous semantics of merging and metadata. In particular, the implementation of this RFC was strongly needed by @vkleen for Terraform-Nickel and for Nickel-Nix. (#990, #1086)

• on the Nickel-Nix front, we previously solved the lack of string context in Nickel (by introducing symbolic strings), and a number of small blockers, allowing us to write our first derivations. Now, @solene and @djacu are coming to the rescue to provide more useful pieces: shell builders. Those are basic composable building blocks (a bit like a NixOS module) that you can easily assemble to make a development shell, without relying on Nix mkShell. Beside a bit of flake boilerplate (but mostly templated) to use Nickel instead of Nix to write the shell, here is what it takes to make a shell with rustc, rust-analyzer and cargo available:

let builders = import "builders.ncl" in

{
      output = {
        name = "nickel-shell",
      }
    } & builders.RustShell

Looks simple! A bunch of basic builders for language dev environment like that are already written, but need to be merged properly first.

We plan to release Nickel-Nix 0.1 (or Nixel, the bikeshedding is going strong) in the coming week, focusing on the development shells.

:metal: build healthy and reproducible software :vulcan_salute:t6:

25 Likes

Thank you very much for report @Solene . It is very encouraging to read about those improvements.

4 Likes

I’m glad you’re feeling better, @Solene! I missed these updates and I was wondering about your zine as well, since I also enjoy those news highlights and Nix tips.

Thanks for the XL-sized update this time, to ensure the community doesn’t miss any of the awesome work that went on at Tweag during that long period.

I love the new Nixpkgs architecture proposal eliminating the need to edit the massive pkgs/top-level/all-packages.nix for new packages! This is really leaning into our strengths; Nixpkgs is already one of the easiest package repositories to contribute to and this makes it even nicer. (Also helps eliminate the annoyance of trivial merge conflicts on downstream forks of Nixpkgs!)

It’s great to see almost a year’s work on error message improvement make it’s way into Nix now, too. Nix is in such a critical position right now (it’s even blowing up across desktop Linux YouTube right now), and tons of people are going to be getting their first impressions of Nix in the next few months. Shoring up its known UX weaknesses in this way is so important and timely.

(And I am still excited about Nickel and its Nix integrations, as ever!)

6 Likes

Oh my god this is the single best feature I have read about since I first learned of Nix :partying_face:

6 Likes