Use only 1 channel for my user's `nix-env` and root's `nixos-rebuild`

In order to save disk space by reducing my store’s (/nix/store/) disk usage, I’d like to use a single channel for both my system (whatever is used for nixos-rebuild) and for my only (real) user’s nix-env.

I’m not sure I got right what’s documented hence I’m asking here. Here’s some info of my current channels state:

My user’s nix-channel --list:

nixpkgs https://nixos.org/channels/nixpkgs-unstable

root’s nix-chennel --list:

$ sudo nix-channel --list
nixos https://nixos.org/channels/nixos-unstable

Should I create a link from my user’s ~/.nix-defexpr/channels to roots? I.e to:

/nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/root/channels

Should I edit ~/.nix-channels as well?

I haven’t tried any of these ideas because I don’t want to break anything.

BTW, while here, I was wondering: What’s the meaning of the symlink to default-5-link in the profiles directory? I.e:

$ ls /nix/var/nix/profiles/
default-5-link
per-user
system
system-245-link

maybe just remove user channel? It will fallback to system one

What’s the meaning of the symlink to default-5-link in the profiles directory?

each time you rebuild profile, a new symlink is created - system-1-link, system-2-link, … The system symlink just refers to latest system-NN-link. When you nix-collect-garbage -d, it removes those intermediate unused symlinks, so you are left with only latest and link to latest.

1 Like

maybe just remove user channel? It will fallback to system one

It seems that nix-channel --remove nixpkgs didn’t make nix-env --upgrade fail but I think now I’m left with no updates at all. I ran nixos-rebuild and I think it upgraded every possible package. Yet nix-env --upgrade hasn’t updated a single one.

But it’s impossible that I’ve had only 5 generations through out my usage of packages - I’m using NixOS for at least a year and I’ve tested hundreds of times programs using nix-env -iA and then nix-env -e.

With the nixpkgs channel I had from before, I get 1 update. Maybe that’s a sign of that small gap between nixos-unstable and nixpkgs-unstable… Meaning it’s OK that nix-env --upgrade think there’s nothing to upgrade.

(EDIT) Moreover, I’m trying to investigate while at it, the issue of multiple search results in nix search - Why now, even with only 1 channel for root and no channels for myself, I get 3 search results from 3 channels:

* nixos-unstable.blender (blender)
  3D Creation/Animation/Publishing System

* nixos.blender (blender)

* nixpkgs.blender (blender)

Here’s are the files in ~/.nix-defexpr/:

$ tree ~/.nix-defexpr/*
/home/doron/.nix-defexpr/channels
├── binary-caches -> /nix/store/n8q83dx47i6n562l9q23ppf2c92i0112-nixos-unstable-19.09pre186563.b5f5c97f7d6/binary-caches
├── manifest.nix -> /nix/store/fshsa1v74jv8b9ssjnq1yf783lfdissg-env-manifest.nix
└── nixos-unstable -> /nix/store/n8q83dx47i6n562l9q23ppf2c92i0112-nixos-unstable-19.09pre186563.b5f5c97f7d6/nixos-unstable
/home/doron/.nix-defexpr/channels_root
├── manifest.nix -> /nix/store/g8kvv93976mzsmmvcgln1kmj5kqn6dv0-env-manifest.nix
└── nixos -> /nix/store/i3a8qpsc117i3sbj0mafnsq8dv730zfp-nixos-20.09pre217261.a2e06fc3423/nixos

3 directories, 2 files

not sure if you talk about user profile or root profile. Because default-5-link is root profile, that is sudo nix-env -i .... It might be you rarely install anything as root.

The nixos-unstable channel looks like a bug. It should have been removed by nix tools… But duplication nixos/nixpkgs is kinda expected - I believe this is an old bug.

Makes sense.

The nixos-unstable channel looks like a bug. It should have been removed by nix tools… But duplication nixos/nixpkgs is kinda expected - I believe this is an old bug.

I see. Say @danbst I’d like to file a bug in Issues · NixOS/nix · GitHub , where should I start? What info is relevant? Should I tell them my $NIX_PATH as well? It is set by /etc/set-environment as generated by my NixOS config… Currently:

$ grep NIX_PATH /etc/set-environment
export NIX_PATH="nixpkgs=/nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/root/channels/nixos:nixos-config=/etc/nixos/configuration.nix:/nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/root/channels"
  export NIX_PATH="$HOME/.nix-defexpr/channels${NIX_PATH:+:$NIX_PATH}"

I think I’ve fixed the duplicate search results issue in nix search by using the following:

NIX_PATH=nixpkgs=/nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/root/channels/nixos

Otherwise, it’s:

NIX_PATH=$HOME/.nix-defexpr/channels:nixpkgs=/nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/root/channels/nixos:nixos-config=/etc/nixos/configuration.nix:/nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/root/channels

But if then, what’s the purpose of the rest of the paths set there? Could it be merely a $NIX_PATH default value issue of NixOS/nixpkgs ?

$HOME/.nix-defexpr/channels lets you use <channelname> to refer to user channels you got from nix-channels, and /nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/root/channels also does that but lets regular users use root’s channels, that is those configured with sudo nix-channels. nixos-config=/etc/nixos/configuration.nix lets nixos-rebuild, nixos-options etc. find the configuration file.

Thanks for joining the discussion @dramforever .

My nixos-config= has:

/etc/nixos/configuration.nix:/nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/root/channels

What’s the purpose of /nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/root/channels there?

It does not. $NIX_PATH is several ‘things’ separated by :, and each ‘thing’ is either path or name=path. Please see my earlier reply again for what /nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/root/channels does, and also the relevant section in the Nix manual.

OK I think I start to get it. Overall, all the paths that don’t include something= in my NIX_PATH are:

$HOME/.nix-defexpr/channels

And:

/nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/root/channels

And <channelname> channels are looked up there right? If so, why is this:

nixpkgs=/nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/root/channels/nixos

is also set?

It allows <nixpkgs> to refer to the nixos channel

OK :).

Damn! Why is this has to be so complicated? My conclusion, is that I could get along just fine with only:

NIX_PATH=nixpkgs=/nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/root/channels/nixos:nixos-config=/etc/nixos/configuration.nix

Do you think @dramforever I’d miss something with this $NIX_PATH? Would I have trouble if I’d want to use all kinds of default.nix files in development repos that use import <channelname>?

Actually IIRC the default configuration is exactly what you described in your original post title: only 1 channel for user nix-env and system nixos-rebuild. If the user doesn’t configure any channels, root’s ones are used. You didn’t really have to do anything :slight_smile:.

$NIX_PATH is like that because nix-channel is a completely separate mechanism. It would actually complicate things if in Nix <foo> referred to some ‘channel’ mechanism rather than just a path configured by an environment variable.

As of your NIX_PATH, I don’t see a problem. If it’s working for you then it’s most likely fine. The only NIX_PATH you can expect existing from most installations is <nixpkgs> anyway, so I think it’s okay.

you may also be interested in How is `NIX_PATH` managed regarding nix channel? - #3 by danbst

I agree with you it is all complicated. I think this is one of reasons why nix-channel and nix-env were not ported to Nix2, and why all this flakes + flake locks stuff is going on. So maybe don’t report a bug, but let’s just wait until flakes+nix2 stabilize.

My default $NIX_PATH includes paths without a something= and I think that’s what caused the multiple search results in nix search. As for the original issue of this thread, I can testify that currently:

$ nix-channel --list

Outputs nothing but:

$ ls -l ~/.nix-defexpr/channels/
total 12
lrwxrwxrwx 2 root root  99 Jan  1  1970 binary-caches -> /nix/store/n8q83dx47i6n562l9q23ppf2c92i0112-nixos-unstable-19.09pre186563.b5f5c97f7d6/binary-caches
lrwxrwxrwx 2 root root  60 Jan  1  1970 manifest.nix -> /nix/store/fshsa1v74jv8b9ssjnq1yf783lfdissg-env-manifest.nix
lrwxrwxrwx 2 root root 100 Jan  1  1970 nixos-unstable -> /nix/store/n8q83dx47i6n562l9q23ppf2c92i0112-nixos-unstable-19.09pre186563.b5f5c97f7d6/nixos-unstable

Maybe that’s the bug @danbst talked about in post #5? I expect the nixos-unstable directory not to be there.

That’s definitely helpful @danbst . It’ll take me some time though to get my head wrapped around it along @tohl2’s suggestion. What perplexes me the most is the fact that nix-env doesn’t care about $NIX_PATH. That’s pretty insane. Hence I’m considering:

alias nix-env='nix-env -f <nixpkgs>'
1 Like

Yes this does not look right to me. If you can cause this without doing anything funny like editing ~/.nix-channels by hand then it’s a bug. If you did do something funny though, you might consider it a bug but I guess you’re supposed to clean up after yourself…

alias is a nice trick! I’ve just tested and you can specify -f twice, so nix-env -if ... will not be broken

nix-env -f '<nixpkgs>' -f '<nixpkgs>' -iA hello

Actually, this is great news!

Actually that didn’t work out for me :upside_down_face: - something went wrong with zsh evaluating the brackets first. I’ve currently settled down with using:

ln -s /nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/root/channels .nix-defexpr

I’ve done that after reading Introduction - Nix Reference Manual . Because of this. I’ll never use nix-channel --update again. Only nixos-rebuild --upgrade.

My $NIX_PATH is currently set to:

NIX_PATH=nixos=/nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/root/channels/nixos:nixos-config=/etc/nixos/configuration.nix

I suppose it could be set via nix.nixPath (as @tohl2 suggested):

In the current state:

• I don’t get duplicate search results from nix search and only the nixos. attribute prefix is used in it’s results.
  • nix-env -qa --json is showing only nixos. attributes which are all derived from the packages defined in /nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/root/channels/nixos.
  • command-not-found is using the nixos. attribute to instruct how to install a package.

I’m satisfied by this setup.

isn’t nix-build '<nixpkgs>' -A ... broken now for you? Something like nixpkgs=/nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/root/channels/nixos is still required.