Who uses NixOS with KDE?

I am using KDE with wayland on Nixos 21.11 and it works (mostly) fine for me.

When I activate two monitor my panel vanishes. Never had the time to dig into this problem.

@ngiger Panel issue was fixed in plasma 5.24.x. Now they have a proper “primary display” notion like back in the Xorg days. You can upgrade to 22.05 to get plasma 5.24.

Plasma works well on X11, but on Wayland, I wish that this issue could be fixed: GTK_THEME is not set by plasma wayland · Issue #155292 · NixOS/nixpkgs · GitHub.

The problem is gtkUsePortal
https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/issues/155291#issuecomment-1166199585

That’s the font rendering, but GTK_THEME doesn’t have anything to do with gtkUsePortal.

actually GTK_THEME was fixed by that suggestion too.
In fact all of my bug reports for gtk on kde wayland were related to that.

Krunner just doesn’t work for me. For some reason, it’s not enabled by default with rest of the plasma DE, and even if added to the system manually, it refuses to respond to it’s hotkey. :person_shrugging:

KDE definitely needs some love and attention on NixOS. all the basic functionality is in place, but there’s a lot of rough edges ready to cut you when you use it daily.

Try checking the global hotkey for krunner. I think upstream changed it a few releases ago…

I use krunner as my primary launcher and it’s fine here. Not using the original shortcut though but that’s been the case for years.

true, running fine on Plasma 5.24 with NixOS 22.05. Krunner could just react slightly faster if you ask me :slight_smile:

checked the hotkey, and it’s set to alt+F2 like it’s always been. alt+shift+F2 to search using the clipboard.

with krunner running in the background, it doesn’t react to the hotkey. adding a new binding to launch a fresh krunner instance when the hotkey is pressed works, but with ~700ms delay :frowning:

Maybe i need to try it on a fresh profile…

Just in case… I have a delay the first time I pop up krunner, but it’s quick after that. Been using KDE with NixOS for years, and relied on krunner for most of that.

It’s launched on demand. You can override the systemd unit to have it launch AOT.

1 Like

I tried KDE for a while, but it kept forgetting my keyboard shortcuts for some reason, and with 22.05 krohnkite stopped working, so I gave up on it and went back to i3. I also never got plasma+i3 to work, and found it near impossible to debug what’s actually happening or how it’s supposed to work.

I am experiencing problems when uploading a file to Chrome, Chromium, or Brave. Firefox works though.

The file size appears to be always 0 bytes and hence the upload fails (sometimes even the entire web app).
Does someone else experienced this and found a fix?

2 Likes

I often got an annoying popup (eg. after openen Dolphin) with the error “The process for the tags protocol died unexpectedly”.

Delete folder ~/.local/share/baloo/ solved this problem.

Solution found under [SOLVED] kdeinit5 keep crashing / Newbie Corner / Arch Linux Forums

1 Like

My Desktop Settings app looks like this for a few days now:

There seems to be a problem applying a lot of theming resources and half of the modules are missing.

System log starting it:

Jul 26 18:56:00 nixos systemd[2771]: Started System Settings - System Settings.
Jul 26 18:56:00 nixos plasmashell[3027]: file:///nix/store/6q4c2rx1g8wqjwrx7x00whfhid3lfgll-plasma-desktop-5.25.3/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.taskmanager/contents/ui/Task.qml:385: Unable to assign [undefined] to QString
Jul 26 18:56:01 nixos plasmashell[16745]: kf.windowsystem: Could not find any platform plugin
Jul 26 18:56:01 nixos plasmashell[16745]: Using fontconfig file: "/home/siezi/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf"
Jul 26 18:56:01 nixos plasmashell[16745]: kf.coreaddons: "Could not load plugin from kcm_kwallet5: The shared library wasnot found."
Jul 26 18:56:01 nixos plasmashell[16745]: kf.coreaddons: "Could not load plugin from kcm_kscreen: The shared library was not found."
Jul 26 18:56:01 nixos plasmashell[16745]: kf.coreaddons: "Could not load plugin from kcm_pulseaudio: The shared library was not found."
Jul 26 18:56:01 nixos plasmashell[16745]: kf.coreaddons: "Could not load plugin from kcm_kdeconnect: The shared library was not found."
Jul 26 18:56:01 nixos plasmashell[16745]: kf.kirigami: Failed to find a Kirigami platform plugin
Jul 26 18:56:01 nixos plasmashell[16745]: kf.kirigami: Failed to find a Kirigami platform plugin
Jul 26 18:56:01 nixos plasmashell[16745]: QFSFileEngine::open: No file name specified
Jul 26 18:56:01 nixos plasmashell[16745]: kf.coreaddons.desktopparser: Error: Failed to open  ""
Jul 26 18:56:01 nixos plasmashell[16745]: QFileDevice::seek: IODevice is not open
Jul 26 18:56:01 nixos plasmashell[16745]: QFSFileEngine::open: No file name specified
Jul 26 18:56:01 nixos plasmashell[16745]: kf.coreaddons.desktopparser: Error: Failed to open  ""
Jul 26 18:56:01 nixos plasmashell[16745]: QFileDevice::seek: IODevice is not open
Jul 26 18:56:01 nixos plasmashell[16745]: qt.qpa.wayland: Wayland does not support QWindow::requestActivate()

All the System Settings modules are installed and you can start them with kcmshell5 <module>. Every other application looks fine. Deleted ~/.cache too.

This is on unstable and I’m new to nixos, so I’m not sure what the expectations are. Does this happen and it shakes itself out on unstable?

I’m using plasma on nixos-unstable for 18 months, I’m a happy user so far.

2 Likes

What is this “System Settings” system service you’re starting? That doesn’t look standard.

The icon theme is also not standard.

Could you try setting things back to breeze and see if that does it?

2 Likes

Thanks for the help, I found the issue. The lead was

https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/issues/79713

and checking nix-env -q. Right in the beginning I made the mistake and installed a few items with “-iA” and cleaning that up fixed everything.