Documentation Team: Call for maintainers

As you might know, due to recent events, the Nix documentation team is understaffed at the moment, with only @infinisil and @fricklerhandwerk remaining.

We are still fully committed towards improving official documentation in the Nix ecosystem and are therefore looking for new members to reach a team size of 4 to 6 people.

This team is the driving force behind making documentation in the Nix ecosystem more accessible, consistent, and complete.
To this end, we are looking for people to take ownership and make decisions to unblock further developments.

In particular, we need to fill the following roles:

• Team lead, responsible for
    • Representing the team
    • Setting a direction and agendas
    • Keeping track of progress
  • Administrative support, for tasks such as
    • Scheduling meetings
    • Taking and publishing notes
    • Moderation and keeping to the schedule
  • Lead editors for
    • Nixpkgs reference manual
    • NixOS reference manual
    • Tutorials and guides
  • Technical maintainers, responsible for
    • Maintenance of documentation infrastructure
    • Choice of tooling
    • Development of automation

It may sound scary, but if you’re curious, come to the meetings.
We’ll ease you into the process and figure out together what works best.

We also intend to provide opportunities for volunteer contributors and maintainers to take on narrow responsibilities that require less effort and continuity, and set up task-oriented working groups coordinated within the documentation team.

You are a good fit if you have…

• Strong motivation to improve the official documentation in the Nix ecosystem, specifically Nix, Nixpkgs, and NixOS
  • Proficiency in written and oral communication in English, and good collaboration skills
  • Capacity to regularly participate in team meetings and work on assigned tasks. We will try to find a time that fits everyone.
  • Familiarity with the community and relevant technologies

These documents give a sense of what the team does:

Near-future goals

An overview of our mid-term goals, which we will continue refining as we go:

• Ease onboarding for users of Nix tools and contributors to their documentation:
    • Improve discoverability of relevant documentation for major use cases
    • Find dedicated owners for each part of the documentation
    • Markdown everywhere
  • Create a coherent vision for documentation in the Nix ecosystem, and derive an implementation strategy and roadmap, guided by the Diátaxis framework for technical documentation:
    1. Reference: Design an information architecture for reference documentation
    2. Tutorials: Draft a complete onboarding and learning journey
    3. Guides: Define a curation model for how-to guides
    4. Explanation: Devise a plan for developing a book on the intellectual history of the Nix ecosystem

Sponsorship

The Nix ecosystem is large, we have challenging problems to tackle, and doing what we do takes time and effort.
We don’t expect anyone to volunteer their time, and yet the reality is that the NixOS Foundation currently has no capacity to organise paid work or solicit the required funding – so far.

If the organisation you work for is willing to sponsor you participation on this team, it will be attributed on the team page.

If you are a decision-maker in an organisation that will benefit from improved documentation in the Nix ecosystem and if you want to materially support our efforts, please contact @fricklerhandwerk.

Get in touch

You can contact us over various channels:

We’re looking forward to meet you!

This announcement was written by
@infinisil @fricklerhandwerk @sir4ur0n @yuki_is_bored @stefanschroeder @olaf @spacekookie

15 Likes

Do you have a general idea of what type of time commitment is necessary for each of the roles you outlined (in addition to the 1hr/week for the team meetings)?

2 Likes

This is just from my experience, but anything upwards of consistently 5h/week is reasonable:

• Discussion meeting: 1h
  • Work meeting: 2h (time TBD)
  • Hallway chats and pairing: 1h
  • Async work: >>1h

The key is being able to take a meaningful amount of homework, and less than 1h/w is impractical as you probably won’t get anything done.

I don’t see how it would make sense to have less total time available, because, in my opinion, figuring out what to do first and how to approach the deeper issues is the most important part right now, as this will set the stage for scaling up and offering opportunities for occasional contributors. And we can only do that together.

7 Likes

Thanks to everyone that contributed to this call for maintainers!

I’ve been thinking about joining the documentation team, but am not yet sure which role I’m willing and qualified to fill. According to the listed requirements, I should at least be a good fit.

I’ve been writing technical documentation for our development teams at work and have been deeply invested in the NixOS ecosystem for a while now. Although there are still some concepts that I’ve not yet fully grasped, I’ve been using Nix and NixOS on many devices with great success and have the desire to contribute more and be a more active member of the community.

I’ve read the linked documents and will join the next meeting. I hope we can find out together how I can best contribute to the ongoing documentation efforts.

4 Likes

Note that we now have an additional meeting Tuesdays 13:00-14:00 Europe/Berlin, at least until summer time hits.

2 Likes