Major Nixpkgs contributor leaving

Major Nixpkgs contributor is leaving us:

30 Likes

So sad of this :frowning: Almost 18000 commitsā€¦ what a loss for the Nix projectā€¦

10 Likes

Iā€™m sorry to hear this. Mario was one of the people who signed the open letter opposing MIC sponsorship.

To those who may be alarmed, Iā€™d like to ease your concerns. Iā€™m hopeful that the other signatories will not quit, as I believe we can find a satisfactory resolution.

For more context, please see this thread.

1 Like

The real impact of such departures extends beyond immediate contributions; it influences the morale and future engagement of other community members in the project. We donā€™t yet know how many more might consider leaving yet. This uncertainty can erode the foundation of our community.

The perception that the communityā€™s voice is being ignored can lead to significant repercussions, not just for the project but for the entire ecosystem that depends on it, including companies where their business model is based on Nix technologies!

The foundationā€™s role is to ensure that the community which drives this development feels valued and respected. Open-source projects thrive on collaboration and mutual respect; without these, even the most technically robust projects risk losing their momentum. The ongoing situation should be a wake-up call for the NixOS project to reconsider how it engages with its community. Every individual contributor is a vital resource, and we cannot afford to overlook the impact of their grievances. For NixOS to continue thriving, itā€™s imperative that we strive for transparency, genuine inclusivity and responsiveness.

Top 5 contributors like Mario are invaluable, and their departure sends a strong message about the necessity of being heard and respected.

40 Likes

Politics aside, Iā€™m wondering what those leaving NixOS are going to do.
Personally, I canā€™t imagine using any other distribution and if I were to merely stop contributing the stuff I rely upon on a daily basis would fall apart pretty quickly (Iā€™m the only maintainer in many cases).

25 Likes

Exactly, very well written.

I understand your perspective, Pol.

Itā€™s worth noting that the open letter received 232 signatures. However, 231 contributors have opted to keep contributing to nixpkgs, which makes me optimistic that things will work out.

1 Like

Including myself indeed, despite my deep reservations about the recent controversies weā€™ve faced. Itā€™s heartening to see that a substantial number of us remain committed to the project. This shared commitment does give room for optimism.

Like the saying goes ā€œRome wasnā€™t built in a dayā€, change within such a complex ecosystem as Nix takes time and collective effort. Even though many aspects of nixpkgs are automated, itā€™s crucial to remember the human element - the people behind the keyboards - who are just as prone to mistakes as they are capable of forgiveness and growth.

And yes, I remain optimistic, but itā€™s important to acknowledge that sustaining this environment requires balance. If we find ourselves facing similar crises frequently, it could simply dissolve the project to smithereens.

5 Likes

Leaving is a hard choice for most contributors, because dependencies run both ways. Having people continue contributing doesnā€™t mean they are content with the outcome, they could also just have a hard dependency on nixpkgs they cannot easily replace.

42 Likes

Short-term: treat Nixpkgs as a non-friendly upstream, like people treat most of the software upstreams anyway (from time to time Nixpkgs treats Nix itself as a non-perfectly-clueful upstream, after allā€¦). Fork out whatever you were maintaining in Nixpkgs, overlays are not that hard (for the level of competence of a significant contributor).

Longer-term, Guix? I find some basic fundamental technical decisions there even more uncomfortable than mistakes of Nixpkgs, and I donā€™t always find Guix better at making governance decisions, so I stay with Nix/Nixpkgs (but not NixOS, although I do manage my system with Nix ā€” speaking of overlaying things while using Nixpkgsā€¦) But I think some of the people unhappy with Nix* decision-making might be more comfortable with Guix decision-making.

I do keep some stuff that clearly un-upstreamable for various reasons as an overlay, itā€™s mostly fineā€¦

3 Likes

However, 231 contributors have opted to keep contributing to nixpkgs, which makes me optimistic that things will work out.

This is such a binary way of looking at ways to contributeā€¦
Sadly: silent quitting is a thing in online communities as well.

21 Likes

I am a small-time contributor but I am seriously considering moving all my Nix stuff over to Guix, and advocating people / orgs I am associated with to do the same. Itā€™s a shame, because I actually would prefer not to do all thatā€¦ but if the Nix community canā€™t figure things out then I donā€™t know that there will be much choice. I really wish Nix was a democratically governed free and open-source software project that operated based on a shared set of common values and goals.

14 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

22 Likes

4 Likes

22 Likes

49 Likes

10 Likes

This topic is temporarily closed for at least 4 hours due to a large number of community flags.

This topic was automatically opened after 4 hours.

Evolving from a loose confederation of enthusiasts to a democratically governed project seems to be a normal part of a FOSS projectā€™s ā€œgrowing upā€. For what itā€™s worth, this reply encourages me to stop contributing. If saying I wished that Nix ā€œoperated on the basis of shared values and goalsā€ is too ā€œpoliticalā€ then maybe this ā€œcommunityā€ really is too far gone. I donā€™t know if Jon and I have any shared values or goals in common, and if not, then why bother contributing to this project in which he has been promoted to a position of leadership?

I really canā€™t believe that my wish that we all contribute based on what we agree upon is taken to be divisive. Itā€™s absurd.

29 Likes