NixOS 20.03 BETA

Hello everyone again :wave:
NixOS 20.03 has been branched since Feb 10th, but we encountered a delay because of nixos/release-20.03 and unstable failing to evaluate. This has just been sorted today so we can finally get to it. Many thanks to those who solved this.

At this phase in the NixOS release lifecycle we are amidst beta and weā€™re stabilizing the release branch, fixing deliverables, and backporting minor updates and bugfixes.

Hereā€™s some quick links:

Hydra Jobset: Hydra - nixos:release-20.03
ZERO Hydra Failures: ZERO Hydra Failures 20.03 Ā· Issue #80379 Ā· NixOS/nixpkgs Ā· GitHub

Looking forward to improving our release together to make it as stable as possible. This is the call for testing.

with constancy - avatar worldofpeace

14 Likes

Is somewhere documented how to participate in beta?

Iā€™d like to try with my second laptop which I do not rely on in any production work, though itā€™s prepared for it.

The simplest way, once we have the first channel update published (automatically), is to follow the steps to upgrade NixOS. You would use nixos-20.03 as the channel name. There are no push notifications that I know of for channel updates, but you can look at the status page, and it should hopefully soon1 show up there.

1: soon is relative.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve set aside Wednesday this week for an hour at 1700 UTC to be on IRC in #nixos to help anyone interested in participating in helping with this release and learning how to diagnose/fix ZHF issues that doesnā€™t know how to get started. Please if you want to help and need some guidance hop on iRC!

6 Likes

In a similar vein, Iā€™ll be available on discord (unofficial) 2hrs every work day (and probably more). Details https://www.reddit.com/r/NixOS/comments/f2uryn/nixpkgs_office_hours_for_discord

Feel free to ask about anything relating to nixpkgs.

5 Likes

I see that the 20.03 channel is available now \o/

1 Like

related issue Hydra: nixos/release-20.03 and unstable fails to evaluate Ā· Issue #79907 Ā· NixOS/nixpkgs Ā· GitHub

1 Like

Thereā€™s a list of things to be careful about before upgrading, I havenā€™t spent time finding the link for 19.09 but most of them relate to staetVersion and I think there was one related to redshift location and, another to ntp, and such?

Where can I find that list for this version? I guess I can try to upgrade first and then fix errors but probably better to have the listā€¦

Release notes always have a section ā€œBackward Incompatibilitiesā€; I expect you want that?

Thanks, I did want that (Release notes!) (couldnā€™t search on mobile and desktop internet not working, hence the intent to upgrade :)). That said, I donā€™t think they have been populated for 20.03 yetā€¦

Release notes: NixOS 23.11 manual | Nix & NixOS

You can look at the latest Hydra output for the manual. E.g.:

https://hydra.nixos.org/build/113296287/download/2/nixos/release-notes.html#sec-release-20.03

1 Like

Thank you. Also linking the github file Release 20.03 (ā€œMarkhorā€, 2020.04/20)

7 posts were split to a new topic: Apparent GitHub user account issue (ban?)

My experience- changes in configuration.nix were minimal for me. Mental effort to decide whether to upgrade was 0, since I knew I could always roll back quickly. Update was butter smooth.

Issues:

1. Reboot takes more than a minute after Reached target reboot.
  2. Wifi Dongle speed has become worse it feels, and detection hasnā€™t improvedā€¦ Iā€™m also seeing increased computer load likely because of the sameā€¦

Same here. ā€œWaiting for rngd service to stopā€ or something like that. It hangs until some timeout, I suspect.

1 Like

My experience- changes in configuration.nix were minimal for me. Mental effort to decide whether to upgrade was 0, since I knew I could always roll back quickly. Update was butter smooth.

Issues:

1. Reboot takes more than a minute after Reached target reboot.

Checkout nixos/rngd: fix clean shutdown by worldofpeace Ā· Pull Request #80920 Ā· NixOS/nixpkgs Ā· GitHub

1. Wifi Dongle speed has become worse it feels, and detection hasnā€™t
    improvedā€¦ Iā€™m also seeing increased computer load likely because of
    the sameā€¦

Can you share what wifi hardware that is? It might be that the driver
is (now?) just a softmac driver or similar because another one was
removed/replace. The default kernel version in 20.03 changed to 5.5
IIRC.

1 Like

Unfortunate regression for me: No input devices available Ā· Issue #80960 Ā· NixOS/nixpkgs Ā· GitHub
If anyone has any insight it would be much appreciated.

Itā€™s a DLink N300. When I wake up from hibernation or after a reboot my device would just not be recognized.

The following line is something I think Iā€™ve activated at times and deactivated on others (sorry I havenā€™t kept track)
boot.extraModulePackages = [ config.boot.kernelPackages.rtl8192eu ];

Hmmmm.

Anyway Iā€™m not too worried about this right now because my workaround is a wired connectionā€¦

I will report back on reboots againā€¦

I just want to thank @worldofpeace and @disassembler for all the hard work you guys are doing for this release. Looking at every minor bug is a herculean taskā€¦

2 Likes

I have tried upgrading my configuration to NixOS 20.03 but I keep getting a recurring error.

it is always the same error, but donā€™t happen always on the same derivation. It complains:
#include <sys/stropts.h> is not found.

So I could not generate the generation for my configuration based on 20.03
Is it due to 20.03 ?

I havenā€™t investigated further. Below two error logs, (of two different nixos-rebuild) of this same error.

building ā€˜/nix/store/54k7apfrgmsq2w042i5093r070blxaim-xcompmgr-1.1.8_fish-completions.drvā€™ā€¦
ā€¦/build/ā€¦/ex/ex_script.c:27:10: fatal error: sys/stropts.h: No such file or directory
27 | #include <sys/stropts.h>
| ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.
make: *** [Makefile:335: ex_script.o] Error 1
builder for ā€˜/nix/store/9zda73xqp62qgs23v0l656z2hszaymjz-nvi-1.79.drvā€™ failed with exit code 2
cannot build derivation ā€˜/nix/store/vmy4pyscvbcmnrlpxxnnd4w3hk2bpdnc-nvi-1.79_fish-completions.drvā€™: 1 dependencies couldnā€™t be built
cannot build derivation ā€˜/nix/store/c0fbsgaf56h5y1dis1ny1qhqy0cvszd1-system-path.drvā€™: 1 dependencies couldnā€™t be built
building ā€˜/nix/store/rjjchjldlkbwb9qcs32jh3i0lhf4yd9z-xdg-utils-1.1.3_fish-completions.drvā€™ā€¦
building ā€˜/nix/store/6gnc1nj4hvrgbnxk02g5g13qcbfm5rcr-xf86-input-evdev-2.10.6_fish-completions.drvā€™ā€¦
building ā€˜/nix/store/9h2b3zrciqvrfmj33rv4qn5q9wbx3dh5-xf86-input-libinput-0.28.2_fish-completions.drvā€™ā€¦
building ā€˜/nix/store/06wpgxk5bqgsgyqzjfgzz652kb43qqk1-xf86-input-wacom-0.36.0_fish-completions.drvā€™ā€¦
cannot build derivation ā€˜/nix/store/ā€¦-nixos-system-ā€¦-20.03beta335.89536cd763c.drvā€™: 1 dependencies couldnā€™t be built

ā€¦/build/ā€¦/ex/ex_script.c:27:10: fatal error: sys/stropts.h: No such file or directory
27 | #include <sys/stropts.h>
| ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.
make: *** [Makefile:335: ex_script.o] Error 1
building ā€˜/nix/store/1mix61909dwcgr4qmjkdz2pr6vvjamhl-unit-systemd-journald.service.drvā€™ā€¦
builder for ā€˜/nix/store/9zda73xqp62qgs23v0l656z2hszaymjz-nvi-1.79.drvā€™ failed with exit code 2
cannot build derivation ā€˜/nix/store/vmy4pyscvbcmnrlpxxnnd4w3hk2bpdnc-nvi-1.79_fish-completions.drvā€™: 1 dependencies couldnā€™t be built
cannot build derivation ā€˜/nix/store/c0fbsgaf56h5y1dis1ny1qhqy0cvszd1-system-path.drvā€™: 1 dependencies couldnā€™t be built
building ā€˜/nix/store/2fmx2jjsxhjv0gpznq7da4ldfla65bn0-unit-systemd-logind.service.drvā€™ā€¦
building ā€˜/nix/store/5kr1i9h8ncrl310vsl2mn8sj824wyr8v-unit-systemd-modules-load.service.drvā€™ā€¦
building ā€˜/nix/store/8vsaka3yml0ajiarmhnahb4hl4qq2qp7-unit-systemd-nspawn-.service.drvā€™ā€¦
building ā€˜/nix/store/6jjvchlka7pph133brr4xl0lir3mdhlx-unit-systemd-random-seed.service.drvā€™ā€¦
cannot build derivation ā€˜/nix/store/ā€¦-nixos-system-ā€¦-20.03beta335.89536cd763c.drvā€™: 1 dependencies couldnā€™t be built
error: build of ā€˜/nix/store/ā€¦-nixos-system-ā€¦-20.03beta335.89536cd763c.drvā€™ failed

These were probably uncovered by glibc update; I think itā€™s correct for this header not to exist (itā€™s optional). In any caseā€¦ feel free to find fixes as a part of ZHF; itā€™s possible that simple updates of the packages are sufficient for that.